What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grog

Slick

In hopes of elevating this forum above the aforementioned boring norm, here's an interesting article about grog:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/02/what-grog-was-originally-made-from/

Back in my Navy days, I was honored with an invite to dine with the crew of a French Canadian destroyer. I forget the ship's name, maybe I could research it and find it, but it was interesting in the fact that it was crewed exclusively by, you guessed it, French Canadians. Their official "mascot" was a frog. I was given a T-shirt with its picture. Of course, this was back before the PC days and you could actually make fun of something or someone, or even yourself, and not get sued into poverty. All the signage was in French & English, which I thought was quaint. Got a full tour of their weapon systems, bridge, berthing, etc.
The U.S. Navy disallows the possession or use of any alcoholic beverage onboard their ships.
Eau contraire! the rest of the world's navies. They had a full bar with the stuff going for $0.10/shot. I got hammered. There's more to the story, but I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I'm sure our British brethern hereabouts might elaborate in some detail, their take on grog. I heard reference to it once as pisswater. Any here with tasting experience?

Rick

Last edited: