What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Ammunition from Australia, WWI

Snufkin

Premium Member
Occasionally the question is asked regarding WWI gun ammunition whether Australia made the likes of 18-pr shell. The following page from a Ministry of Munitions file, "Notes on Munitions Work Done for and by the Ministry in India, Australia, South Africa and Canada", states "after an experimental stage during which a few thousand shell were supplied, this branch of munitions manufacture ceased". Australia's main contribution to gun ammunition was the supply of raw materials, but that is not to say a rare Australian 18-pr might not surface from time to time.

Tom.

Attachments

• GA Australia.jpg
    GA Australia.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Tom, there are quite a few Australian made WW1 18 Pr HE shells in Australian collections. We only made HE shells, but I have seen trial shrapnels. Presumably these were souvenired or pilfered leftovers from the unused surplus. I show some photos of one of mine made by the Walleroo & Moonta (Mining) Co. of South Australia.

I have read post WW1 documents, the gist of which is as follows: Apparently in the second half of 1915 there was a desperate shortage of 18 Pr shells - they were being fired off more quickly than they could be made. Australia wanted to help and advised the British ministry that we would start production. But it took months for the design drawings to arrive by ship and then many more months of meetings and bureaucracy before any production commenced. Meanwhile Canada and India stepped up their (existing) production and the shortage was averted. A few (thousand) shells were shipped back to the UK, but then the British Government advised the Australian Government that no further shells were required. This information took some time to be disseminated and the factories continued to produce tens of thousands of HE shells that were not required and were ultimately just scrapped. Except for a few that have survived and are now keenly sought by collectors.

Graeme

Attachments

• C94AC5B4-A24A-4F93-A43E-06FFB97E634B.jpeg
    C94AC5B4-A24A-4F93-A43E-06FFB97E634B.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 357DD0E2-1D47-4273-B97F-CF6483AC8273.jpeg
    357DD0E2-1D47-4273-B97F-CF6483AC8273.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 31
Graeme, thanks. It is good to know that there are a few survivors. The actual number of 18-pr shell sent to the UK was recorded as 5,900; attached is a comparison of shell output up to 30 June 1917.

Tom.

Attachments

• Comparison of output.jpg
    Comparison of output.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 26