What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Show Pick Up

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
Picked this up today at a gun show. Knowing almost nothing about the No. 36 Mk 1 (or any Mills for that matter), I think I did well on the transaction. All of the parts are either marked E.E. Co., ICL or both, which I know not what the company is. And a '40! Yes, the last photo IS the price. A good day! Cheers, Bruce.:bigsmile:

Attachments

• Photo174.jpg
    Photo174.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo175.jpg
    Photo175.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo176.jpg
    Photo176.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo177.jpg
    Photo177.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 78
Hi Bruce,
Not my area either but i reckon you have done really well with that purchase, looks to be in great condition.
Best Weasel.

... the parts are either marked E.E. Co., ICL or both, which I know not what the company is...

ICL was International Combustion Ltd, Sinfin Lane, Derby (pre- and post-war boiler makers). The company received a one-off contract for 500,000 No.36 in June 1940. Like many companies with expertise in iron and steel casting, the mazak (US - zamak) components were supplied by other companies, and in this case the base plug and filler screw are from the English Electric Company.

Looks like you've found a genuine 1940 No.36 complete with original components - and at a fair price. Good find.

Tom.

Thanks all for the posts. Historically that would place this grenade around the major re-armament phase directly after Dunkirk. It helps that we have such a large wealth of knowledge on this forum to draw from and helps to shed the light of history on the pieces we collect. Cheers, Bruce.

Last edited: