What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gunners Quadrants

hello

i've seen this in a forum

but what is this ? artillery or not ?

:tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• quadrant.jpg
    quadrant.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11
It look artillery, note the feet which are very similar to the ones already illustrated.

Any chance of getting a picture of the flip side?

Sorry , only this picture without anything else.

hein.gif

Hi all.

I got interested in collecting these things since I got #1 because of it's Hotchkiss mark. It is a Clinometer for a machine gun.

n.b. All of these things work on the same principle, you set an angle or range on the thing, you rest it on the cannon barrel, you raise the barrel until the bubble level shows "level". If you know the ballistics of a barrel/cartridge, the projectile should fall whare you want it to.​
#2 Is an instrument that is marked (Upsidedown "V) P 920 with a funny "C" overlaying an "A" in a circle.

#3 is a classic design, French manufacture in this case. It has the inspection stamp of Col. Anus. Seriously. The exact one appears in the Am Ord catalog of 1894.

#4 is French by J. Carpentier. Made after 1888.
Nice collection of French clinometers:

1. Niveau de Pointage Mle 1918 - Hotchkiss machine gun clinometer
2. Unknown Model
3. Niveau de Pointage 1888-1900 - Artillery clinometer
4. Niveau Carpentier Mle 1916 - Mortar clinometer