What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H50 Metal Ammo Box.

Shaun

Hi all,

I have several H50 Ammo boxes, just wondering other than the inspection seals and stamped dates, what other markings where on them?

Cheers

Shaun

Exactly what is on the wooden box that it contains. If you use a post war .303 box remember to change the batch date to one appropriate for your display on the wooden box and the metal one.

Hi all,

I have several H50 Ammo boxes, just wondering other than the inspection seals and stamped dates, what other markings where on them?

Cheers

Shaun
Hi Shaun, you may have had a reply to this already, so sorry if I duplicate things.
This box H50 may have held two wooden boxes each containing 288 x .303 Ball rounds in bandoleers. The wooden boxes themselves had metal boxes inside with tear-off seals, bit like the Russian dolls. I am pretty new to this game but I have just bought a set as described. Probably like most period boxes the H50 could also be used tor other munitions dependent on the fittings inside. Regards Barrie

The H50 is a fairly universal sort of box and could contain numerous different items of ammo. Thousands became available when .303 inch SAA was replaced by 7.62 mm in UK service.

i the mid 90s i worked for a company who phosphated Rarden Ammo clips for Radway Green, they delivered the parts in the H50 boxes, at the start of the contract we had a hanger full of these boxes - about 3000 of them!