What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hammer, brass or not?

sksvlad

I fished this out of a $1 bin because I needed a brass hammer and this one looked right. The only magnetic part is the stem, the working ends are not magnetic at all. Are non-magnetic ends therefore brass?
2016_04100001.jpg2016_04100004.jpg2016_04100005.jpg

Looks fairly typical.
Be cautious with darker colors that may not be brass. Occasionally at flea markets/garage sales you may still come across non-sparking/non-magnetic tools made of beryllium. Generally safe, if mishandled and dirty you may get hazardous dust and particles which can cause harm if inhaled or make entry through cuts etc. In addition to their darker color most in the US I've seen are well marked with their manufacturers name, Berylco. I've got them as small as 1/4 inch sockets, and I've seen them as large as shovels, axes, and pick axes. Pretty much every hand tool in between can be found as well. In this picture I have a 1/4 inch socket set, screwdrivers, lineman's pliars, a knife, hand pick, crow bar, ball peen hammer, pipe and crescent wrenches.

These tools used to be popular with EOD and bomb techs, but the toxic concerns pushed many of them out, at least in the US. Still used in areas like off-shore oil and other applications, they can be found if you hunt. Mine stay in a locked case, relics from various EOD/bomb squad collections that have replaced theirs with more friendly materials.

3.jpg

Looks fairly typical.
Be cautious with darker colors that may not be brass. Occasionally at flea markets/garage sales you may still come across non-sparking/non-magnetic tools made of beryllium. Generally safe, if mishandled and dirty you may get hazardous dust and particles which can cause harm if inhaled or make entry through cuts etc. In addition to their darker color most in the US I've seen are well marked with their manufacturers name, Berylco.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just bought a BerylCo chisel off Ebay for my British Bomb Disposal collection, so I guess I'll need to keep it wrapped up. Either that or put it in the glass case next to my 101st Airborne radium luminous disc that is still radioactive after all these years. :wink: