What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hand writing on practice bombs (3kg)

slartibartfast

Hi guys, very new to the forum but been loitering/learning for a few weeks.

Question:-
while on a local range one weekend (access permitted when red flag's not flying) I spotted a 3kg practice bomb (No2 MK1), firstly checked it was safe via inspection window to see the flash and smoke cylinder was well into the detonator and then checked the rear end to see that the pyrotechnic had gone which it had, I noticed some writing on the side near the fins hand written in permenant marker, any ideas what is normally written?
my best guess is:-

Loaders initials
unsure
year

If 'year' is correct then this was loaded/used/dropped in 09.

Any help would be much appreciated

Hi Slartibartfast,
I don't know much about these things at all, but i think there are a few threads on here relating to practice bombs if you have a search around you find some more info.
As for finding things on ranges, always best left to those that are trained to do so, hope you find out the meaning of the text, not normally hand written i would think unless it was a test piece maybe.
Best regards Weasel.

The inscription shows: the Unit where the bomb was prepared for use/the serial number of the bomb/the month and/or year when the bomb was prepared for use. Bombs in themselves don't have manufacturer's serial numbers so the numbers are alocated locally. An example of this scheme would look like this: MAR/126/11/11 meaning that the bomb was prepared at RAF Marham; it was allocated the local serial number 126 and it was prepared in November 2011.

Hope this helps.

eodda

Thanks guys,
Weasel just so you know I've done my research on the 3kg and know what to spot as to whether they were a 'spot' or 'no spot' in quadrant terms but appreciate your advice, I wouldn't touch let another move/turn over anything else without knowing a lot about it, so again thanks mate.
Eodda, thank you that is just the info I was wanting to know.

Thanks again guys, will take some photos of any finds on next time on the range and obviously not touch if unsure of what they are.
on this particular range I did find some old 10lb HD (high drag) practice bombs which were extrememly rusty and actually outside the range area but left well alone due to rust and lack of knowledge, safety always!

Hi Paul, I'm on Doddington park.
Also called Paul LOL

Thanks for the welcome,

The range BTW is Donna nook

It's an open range at weekends but as usual advised not to touch anything, plus at the moment they're asking people not to walk on the range due to the seal pups as photographers spending time concentrating on the pups will prevent the mothers from feeding them, plus I don't think there has been any bombing or straffing on the range for the past month or so due to the seals, this will probably continue til new year now