What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handmade Cartridge ID Need

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,

Got given these two bullets yesterday by a 2nd hand dealer as he was going to throw them away. He might have more when he gets around to eventually unpacking the rest of the boxs from a closed down museum at Georgetown North Queensland.

They are not part of my collecting interests so will most probably end up at our next ACCA meeting.

Haven't a clue about them except that one is handmade.

The handmade one on the left is 3 inches long with approx. 7/16 inch calibre.

The headstamp on the one on the right reads ELEY LONDON 450 No1

Any interesting leads will be most welcome.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Attachments

• 00 BOCN 01.jpg
    00 BOCN 01.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Hi Bouganville,
The 'homemade' case looks like a .45 Martini Henry ,rolled brass case with steel base.
Not my line of interest either but manage to soak up info when exposed to it by other collectors!
cheers Bob.

Martini

Your "hand made" cartridge is a .577/.450 Martini Henry Carbine Mark III round. It should have a red paper patch and of course the iron (not steel) base disc is corroded. Picture attached of what it should look like.

The other one is the .450 No.1 round that was very popular in Australia at the turn of the century. It has a 270 grain bullet and a charge of 28 grns powder.
In the 1902 Eley catalogue it is shown as "Adapted to Kangaroo Rifles of this gauge" and they cost 5. 5s. 0d. per thousand. It is also known as the .450-28-270.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• carbine.jpg
    carbine.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Many thanks to both kahu1 & TonyE for the information. Very interesting. I showed the good sides in the photo. The other sides both have damage but I am sure that I find someone to give a good home to them even as a space filler.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE