What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hebrew marking on german WWII fuze ?

Pascal

Ordnance approved
Hello

I took some pictures fews days ago, and when I saw them later, I saw a strange marking, like a german marking under a hebrew marking on a fuze

Take a look. Really hebrew marking on german WWII fuze ?

Attachments

• bocn zoom.jpg
    bocn zoom.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 98
  • bocn.jpg
    bocn.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 97
Pascal,

The fuze you show looks like a variant of the M52 series U.S. Mortar fuze, and the anodizing finish on the fuze is more modern than the non-anodized WWII German fuzes, so I first question if your fuze is WWII German?

Yes, the markings look like Hebrew. In this day of allies and partnerships such as NATO etc., many countries use components and complete ammo from other countries, such as the UK 81mm mortar projos used by the U.S. during the first Gulf War, till they could manufacture their own copies. The U.S. currently has illuminating mortar ammo in 60mm, 81mm, and 120mm that use German mechanical time fuzes, as an example. When a country uses foreign components, they might add their own markings.

Hello hazord.

Yes, I agree, but under the fuze, there is OV and MV marking, like a delay german selector from WII artillery fuzes.

OK. So, an explanation is that Israel made this fuze from german fuze components ?
I didn't know this was usual.
thanks

Isn't that a DM111 series fuze? If it is... and I don't have my stuff to look at to verify .... several countries, to include Iran, have copied that fuze.

Joe

My take on the fuze isn't that the Israeli's copied it, but rather procured it from Germany. They then ink-stamped their abbreviations for the delay settings over the original markings. I would think that if they bought production rights from the Germans they would have stamped their own markings into the fuze body during manufacture. Like was mentioned before it isn't all that uncommon for a country to buy ordnance from another country. Often it is a lot cheaper than setting up their own production line and doing all that is required to design and produce the item. Especially if the demand for the item doesn't mean large quantities or long production runs.

Hello

Nice, Jvollenberg : yes it seems like german DM111 series fuzes

Attachments

• DM111-2.jpg
    DM111-2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 22
Dm 111

Hello everybody,
yes, it is a DM111 for 60 mm mortar. We use this also in Belgium and we have the marking MV-OV to.
It is effectively possible that Isral buy this fuze in Germany and painted a marking in Hebrew for his soldiers.

Yoda

This is the Junghans DM111 (series). Used and copied by many countries throughout the world.

So this one is not neccessarily of German production.

Pascal, for ID purposes you should give us the full stencilled markings also.

My take on the fuze isn't that the Israeli's copied it, but rather procured it from Germany. They then ink-stamped their abbreviations for the delay settings over the original markings. I would think that if they bought production rights from the Germans they would have stamped their own markings into the fuze body during manufacture. Like was mentioned before it isn't all that uncommon for a country to buy ordnance from another country. Often it is a lot cheaper than setting up their own production line and doing all that is required to design and produce the item. Especially if the demand for the item doesn't mean large quantities or long production runs.

And it goes both ways. Germany (among others) bought the M85 Bantam submunition from Israel. I'm sure there are other examples as well.

Hello

Ok. I plan to return tomorrow or friday, if I haven't too much work. I'll take more picture with all the marking.

Hebrew markings

The Hebrew markings are - 'delay' and 'instant'. The fuse is an old typpe for mortar ammunition. Now days the DL 111 (as we call it) is manufactured in Israel and in many other countries wold wide.

Hello

Definively a mortar fuze DM111 A2 fuze, it's write on it.

Thank to all

Attachments

• DSCF0038.JPG
    DSCF0038.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0041.JPG
    DSCF0041.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0044.JPG
    DSCF0044.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 15
Damned ! These pictures are at my work. I'll send you the answer tomorrow afternon.

It's write : FP-2-156 AZ DM 111 A2.

On the other side, I can't read. It seems (FH35 PD), but not sure.

cheers,
pascal

Attachments

• Copie de DSCF0039.JPG
    Copie de DSCF0039.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 6