What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello Everyone, Help Needed !!

MartinH

I am new to this site, just thought I would say hello to everyone!!!!

I have a shell/ projectile in my possession that my grandfather brought back from WW2, from Germany I believe.

I always thought it was a mortar shell, sticking out the bottom of it is a small brass tube, will a hole through the middle. The shell is 40mm diameter by around 5" long, marked Mks IX and X Guns, I will get a picture up as son as I can, if anyone out there could tell me from what type of gun it was fired, I would be most grateful !!! This has puzzled me since I was a kid!!!

Thanks Martin

Hello

Welcome to BOCN Martin, you will find this forum most helpful, there are many knowledgable WW2 ordnance guys in here, hope to see pics of shell soon...Dano

Hi there Quatermass, its looks very similar to that, but mine does not have the pointed part on the end.

It looks like mine has been fired and not gone gone off !!

I will put a picture up later ! I think we are very close!

Would it be an anti-tank round then ??? :eek:)

O.K. second attempt! It could be a 'Shot, Practise, Flatheaded, Q.F. 2-PR., Mk IT'

The brass tube (tracer) should be marked No6I

To quote the handbook: The shot is a short flat-nosed steel body fitted with a driving band and a tracer for practise purposes with reduced charges. The total weight of shot with tracer is 2 lb. 6 oz.

AAAA2pdr3.jpg

Third round from the left.

BOCNFlatheaded.jpg

Picture from the handbook.

P.S. Yes it was used with the Britsh tank/anti-tank gun.

Quatermass.

Last edited:
Hi Quatermass, i think you have solved the mystery !!! well done, you are a genious !!!

The writing on the shell is as follows :

2 Pr IT.
Mks IX and X GUNS
PL 55 5/39
BS

On the brass tube at the bottom, it reads:

4/ 39
No 6.I
J.H.R
87 W.7-39.

My grandfather served with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 53rd Infantry Division ( Welsh ), attached to them were the 71st Anti-Tank Regiment, RA.

I can only assume he must have picked the round up when they were having a practice !!

Hope you can see the attached picture of the round, i think you have got it spot on !!

Thank you very much !!

What specific gun would have used the round?

Thanks
Martin

Shot, Practise, Flatheaded, Q.F. 2-PR., Mk IT

The gun used would have been the 'Ordnance, Q.F. 2-PR., Marks IX and X on Carriage 2-PR Marks I,II,IIA,III and IIIA'

2pdr.jpg
2pdrpostcard.jpg
BOCN 2 PDR side view.jpg

The standard British Anti-Tank gun between 1936 and 1942.

Your projectile has been fired (indicated by the scoring on the driving band) so your grandfather must have picked it up after a shoot. A very nice momento and I'm glad its stayed in the family.

Quatermass.

Last edited:
Cheers for the pictures Quatermass, my granfather probably towed them around in his truck, he was a driver.

Thanks again!