What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for a digger

trencharts

I'm a keen collector of British and Australian militaria. I've had this item in my possession for 20+ years but have no idea what it is.
I know from the markings that it is related to artillery.
I've just discovered your network and I'd be eternally grateful if anyone can throw any light on this item.
Thanks
Jack

Attachments

• IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 69
hi trencharts welcome to bocn that looks like some sort of grapling hook gun

regards lee

Bit of a long shot !

Hi trencharts this is a bit of a long shot but if you look at the picture attached you will see a type of "Pistol" slightly similar to yours excepting the angled piece !

Could yours be the firing device from a similar saluting Gun ?

Another possibility is that it is a "verey" Pistol for use from inside an aircraft where it is fuselage mounted ??

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• Pistol firer  a.JPG
    Pistol firer a.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 62
Nice item, no idea myself but the pistol in Chris's pic looks similar to me ?
As for aircraft though, in 1903 ?????????? Tony.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Good point !

Nice item, no idea myself but the pistol in Chris's pic looks similar to me ?
As for aircraft though, in 1903 ?????????? Tony.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Thanks Tony, that fact had escaped me, and you are right it would be a little unlikely to be for an aircraft in that era due to the low flying speed !

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

What is in the upper container part

how does this work, is the upper part when open have an electrical connection in it for a plug ? This might be the trigger for a large electrically fired gun ?

?????/

We all at the moment seem unsure so I'll add my two penny worth and go for a Human killer for horses, that is if the brass coloured pointed part at the business is retractable?

Merry Christmas and an even better Hogmanay followed by a peace full 2009
eodone.

Question

The top part that angles into the rectangular body, is it or does it contain and electrical connection of some sort ? if so I am sure it is the firing trigger for a Navel electrically fire gun of some kind, could be a big one too? We need an image inside a turret that might show this.

Looks like the pistol grip for a small naval gun like the 6 pounder Hotchkiss or an early Maxim machine gun.. is the stamp "RN" ? The 1903 date marks it as of the pre-modern era, before aeroplanes, signal lights etc.. Have a look at this :
734px-Maxim_machine_gun_Megapixie.jpg

and this :

Elswick6PounderGuncirca1897.jpg

Last edited:
Firing Pistol

G-Day Trencharts,

rcbutcher is on the money with this one, it is a firing pistol for a QF Naval gun as can be seen in his pic of the 6pdr Hotch. 3pdr Hotch. also used them along with other Naval guns of the era.
Nice item.

Regards Ozzi.

Thanks for ideas and more photos

See the 5 attached photos. I'll try and describe them.
1 is the inside from above after removing the top part. It shows the sprung contacts into which a wedge-shaped contact in the top part is inserted when the top part is in place. The cube shaped block drops when the trigger is pulled and enters a sprung pair of contacts.
2 is the top part from below and shows a wax-impregnated coil.
3 is the handle with the moving insert which raises the sprung contact aligned with it.
4 shows the trigger-operated wedge-shaped contact which drops into the sprung contacts when the trigger is pulled; also the trigger return spring.
5 is the glass-covered "viewer" at the operator end of the inclined top part which contains the wax-impregnated coil. It's not clear what the "fan blades" are for or, without taking the top part apart, whether they move.

Well it's got me intrigued. Thanks for your ideas so far. Maybe the extra photos will "trigger" some further thoughts.
Jack

Attachments

• Inside from above showing trigger.JPG
    Inside from above showing trigger.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Top part from below.JPG
    Top part from below.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Handle insert and connected contact.JPG
    Handle insert and connected contact.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Trigger return spring.JPG
    Trigger return spring.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Top part viewer.JPG
    Top part viewer.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 25
Those fan blades probaly rotate through a few degrees so that red portions are exposed from underneathe the top black set of blades. This would indicate something like "firing circuit charged" for an electrically primed gun. A similar system is in use on the "TAWS" system fitted to modern trains to ensure the driver is not asleep or unconscious. There is one of these sets of "fan blades" in the cab that turns from black to yellow to red depending on approaching singals.

Last edited: