What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help ID Submunitions mfg or org

weberoed

Ordnance approved
Attached is a 122mm cargo rocket, if dispensed the submuntions show. Itrems were found in Lybia. Though the submuntins looks US they are not. So looking for who made them

202D94809B074C23983347576693CF15.jpg35BC9E2B58EB4BE687AB4E5DBDAB2779.jpg7AD846782083421A9C641E8E22E41E86.jpg03E30ED142814E66BD4FAED92DB70812.jpgD86EB6BFE4154C82ADE7071F869A2388.jpgDFFFFD30B4F34C73BF98D81F5ED7D57F.jpgE4FCFE49FD8D40B69E3E7A9F6C18FF99.jpg

That's my guess (?), but the guy on fragweb and Facebook EOD disagree - some think Spain rocket w/chinese subs? other think someone else

but the 42/77's sure aren't U.S.

The code for the propellant manufacturer on it says China. The martkings used in the type designation also do fit China.

Do these people mention facts or just their educated guesses? Of course everybody is entitled to have an opinion.

Don't know, the Janes ord expert is involved, others have thrown their 2 cents in, I'm leaning toward Chinese but don't have the LOT number info from their to say for sure (any chance I could get your reference on the code fro propellant mfg? I'm going to check a couple of my references to see if I just didn't check or see it.

thanks
Mike
webereod@yahoo.com

...any chance I could get your reference on the code fro propellant mfg?

thanks
Mike
webereod@yahoo.com

Mike, my reference is 20 years of taking notes on all WAPA/CHICOM codes and ordnance on which they have been observed (+ manufacturer research). The #85 as here I have found only as a manufacturer of propellants and all that only on Chinese ammunition.
Also looking at the designation of that Rocket it follows the recent years Chinese system which is using Latin letters which incorporate the letter "Q" with the model number being the last two digits of the year the item got adopted or developed.

All in all it is often impossible to identify ammunition only by it's physical appearance or shape. We always need to observe markings (other than fancy colored bands or tips) and there in particular lot numbers painted and stencilled. Unfortunately almost nobody is doing coordinated research on this subject and as we can see this causes incorrect identifications (or no ID at all).

EOD 24 years, retired long before all these countries stared making ord with US type lettering and marking, never had the chance to keep up with them. Like I told Jeff guess I'll just stay inthe Vietnam ordnance era. But like you I took note after note during my time, and try to keep my digital library building (over 350 gig but I collect most anything ord, EOD,WMD, bio, expolsive safety/manufacture etc). I'll share what I have with most any EOD guy, just like to get soemthing in return to like I said build the library.

Use to have all the country manufaturing symbols (put them together in the late 70's,) no one seemed interested in doing that those days. Of course they came inhandy years later for me

take care
Mike