What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help identifying bullets

davekane

Hi, could anyone help me identify some bullets I have found on the beach. The large on on the right is about 15mm across the base. Could the lead ball underneath it be a musket ball, if it is how do you decide that a lead ball is a musket ball. Photo on the link in my signature.
Thanks.

Finds

Welcome aboard.

Your bullets are, left to right:

Unknown .38 revolver
4 x .45ACP from Thompson Gun or Colt M1911 pistol.
.455 Mark II Webley pistol
.577, probably from Enfield rifled musket
.58 (?) musket ball

Post anything else that you find,
Regards
TonyE

45's perhaps

Without a scale it is difficult to make a firm decision, but I reckon the bullets are .45 possible from a Thompson M/G and the biggest one looks like it may well be a .577 Muzzle loaded projectile and the Ball is quiet likely to be a piece os "Shrapnel" from a Shrapnel shell as most carried large Lead balls as these had a good coverage due to their weight.

If I am wrong then Steve (Fuseman) has hit the nail on the head !

Bullets

You do not need a scale Chris, as the shape of the bullets identifies tham as .45 ACP as I said in the earlier post.

I agree that the lead ball could be a shrapnel ball but as the Minie ball was also found there, circumstantial evicence is that it is a musket ball. Normally one would not find shrapnel balls on a small arms range.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks

Thanks, I'm really pleased with my finds especially the .577 rifle musket bullet I was only expecting WW1 & WW2 bullets never dreamt I would have something from a small arm that could have been used in the Crimea or the American Civil War (I've been looking it up on google.) I guess thats the fun of metal detecting you never know what you're going to find next.
Thanks a lot.

Hello Dave,
How I wish that was a 50 coin! Good luck with your metal detecting, I've bought one myself and am looking forward to trying it out. Please post any more finds, always interesting to see whats being found around the country.
Regards,
navyman.