What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed please

cameradave

good evening all, i'm trying to identify a rusty piece of ammunition, pics below, i've come up stumped on all avenues so far, any help gratefully received

i've been asked to add that this is a completely inert display item in a museum
thanks again
dave

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Taifun

Taifun (rocket)

Taifun (German for "typhoon") was a German World War II anti-aircraft unguided rocket system. Waves of Taifuns were to be launched en-mass into US B-17 formations hoping for a direct hit. Although never deployed operationally, the system was copied in the US as the Loki, and the USSR as R-103.

The Taifun project originally dates to 25 September 1942, when Hermann Göring authorized the start of a number of anti-aircraft projects after a long hiatus when all such advanced development had been frozen by Hitler. Along with the Taifun, the Enzian, Rheintochter, Schmetterling and Wasserfall were also given full funding.

The Taifun proposal was developed by a small team at Peenemuende along with the Electromechanische Werke in Karlshagen. Their design was 193 cm long and 10 cm in diameter, with four small stabilizing fins at the base. The engine was fueled by a hypergolic mixture of nitric acid and "Optolin", pressure fed by firing a small cordite charge into the tanks, which started the fuel flow and launched the rocket. Nominal range was to have been about 15 km, with a maximum altitude of 12 km.

The original plans called for 2 million to have been produced by January 1945, but the engine experienced lengthy delays and none were ever deployed operationally. The only such system to see operational use was British, who deployed both the Unrotated Projectile and 2 inch RP during the war. The US developed the Loki Dart which looks similar to your photos.From the internet. Hope this helps,Arnie

Identification Help Needed

Thanks Arnie, this was good guidance, however having looked at photo's of the taifun its not quite the same layout. I have however found some reference to a 'javelin' rocket, anyone with any other ideas ? please help

all info gratefully recieved

dave

I think you have a Blowpipe practice dart. Blowpipe was Javelin's predecessor. If I remember correctly the practice dart (inert except for the first stage rocket motor section on the rear end - the brown band denotes the low explosive propellant filling) was designed to demonstrate the weight-change characteristics of the system on launch of a missile, for novice royal Artillery firers. As it had just a first stage motor the range was limited to 100 metres, so it could be recovered, refurbished and used again. Javelin may also have had a similar practice dart.

Last edited: