What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please, Two German fuses stuck together!

Hi, Looking for any info on these German fuses. They are stuck together and were rescued from being used as a striker on a trench art wind chime!

The markings are:

Lg.KZ11 GrZL
Sb 18
kb
Can anyone tell what these letters stand for and the type and size of shell this fuse would be used on.

P.S. If anyone has any thoughts about separating them that also would be useful.

Many thanks for taking the time to look

Uncle Morris.​

Attachments

• fuse3.jpg
    fuse3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 53
  • fuse4.jpg
    fuse4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 85
What a gorgeous pair of fuzes, well rescued. I reckon without having a close look at them that they are braised together if not then maybe they are bolted together from the inside if the caps are removable.
i am not famillier with this fuze so dont now how the are constructed but i am sure there will be a member or two on here that can help you.
Best regards Weasel.

fuse

Hi uncle morris, according to the passion compassion site what you have is a double effect 55mm fuse-detonator, without delay model 1911. visit passion compassion site for specific shell applications (hangover) Dano

Lange Kanonen Zunder 11 Granate Zink Legerung
Sb town of manufacture 1918
Kb maker

Last edited:
KZ11 Gr

The KZ11 Gr (model 1911(manufactured in 1918)) was used on
77mm FK 96 n/A and FK 16 (universal shells) Dano
totally cool fuze

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the quick responses...

Thanks to all who replied to my post. You guys sure know your fuses! I still need to work out how to seperate them though without causing damage.

This may seem like a dumb question but do you think there's a possibility that they could contain any nasty surprises before I try to shift then apart?

Uncle Morris.

glue

looking at the fuses it's hard to believe that they're held together with anything other than sort of cement. Seems ironic that someone thought they were making something nice out of something useless and now it seems to be the other way around. even if you can't get them apart they don't look bad as it stands. That KZ11 Gr fuze is a tough one to find. Nice find. Dano

Try this

Soak them in Acetone for a day, if it's glue they should come apart. Or put them in boiling water, then see if they will pry apart -----

They're in the Acetone now...

Thanks again guys. I'm soaking them overnight and will try boiling water in the morning. I'll let you know how I get on.

Uncle Morris.

fuzes

By all means uncle morris do let us know how it comes out. Are the 2 fuzes the same or are they different? Dano

If the fuzes are soldered together, you can apply a soldering iron to a spot on the edge where the two join, and heat that area up enough to melt the solder in that little spot. Have an air hose with a blowing head handy, and hit the molten solder with a shot of air. Then work your way around it heating and blowing the solder out. Safety glasses would be highly reccomended. You can also try freezing them in your freezer for a couple of hours, then dropping them in some boiling water. The shock might pop them apart. Freezing and heating raises hell with glue.

Last edited: