What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Wanted

steve R

Hello all

I picked this fuse up last week from a fair but having difficulty finding and exact match to identify it, the most similar is an 'air burst' fuse.

DSCN7240.jpgDSCN7241.jpgDSCN7242.jpgDSCN7244.jpgDSCN7243.jpg

Made completely of alloy/aluminium.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCN7245.jpg
    DSCN7245.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 45
T.G.Co would normally be The Gramophone Company [Hayes Middlesex). I worked for them (EMI Electronics Ltd). I had no idea that TGCo had anything to do with the 209 Fuze. I thought they were all made by Tavaro in Switzerland. Interesting.

Bonnex,

When I was researching the 200 series, I came across documentaion that the Swiss were only interested in manufacturing the mechanisms as they considered the bodies akin to heavy engineering and it would appear they considered it beneath them. I'll try and find the document.

Tim

Thanks Tim. That helps to justify TGCo's involvement. I understand from some work that Hogg did when he was at Shrivenham that the supply of Tavaro fuzes/mechanisms was halted in 1940 (which would have affected both the 210 and 212 as well). I guess the
Krupp-Thiel mechanisms might have dried up too or were these produced over here?

Thank you to all especially Dronic69 for identifying the fuse. The other information is also very interesting. I am impressed by the knowledge of those on the forum.

Thank you all

Steve,

Your fuze was filled at ROF Chorley August 1939 - CY 8/39

Bonnex,

Towards the end of the Great War a significant quantity of German Dopp.Z.16 fuzes were captured. The fuzes were duly trialed and the authorities were most impressed with it's performance. The mechanism was then 'reverse engineered' by Cambridge Instruments (IIRC). From that point on it was manufactured in the UK.

A frustrating aspect of the file on the No. 206 and the Tavaro fuze (209) is that it doesn't explain why they never carried out their intention to manufacture the complete fuze in the UK. The authorities were satisfied that it was a superior fuze and even taking into account the expense of building new factories and paying a royalty, it could be manufactured for less than the 206.

TimG

Thanks Tim, I have seen some of the documents re the use of the German mechanisms, or copies of, in the 200 fuze but I had not appreciated that the Cambridge Instruments model became the standard mechanism. I can imagine that Krupps sought royalties!

The OB Annual Reports imply that complete fuzes were made by Tavaro. I read somewhere that the Ministry of Supply were minded to buy as much as they could from Switzerland, tying up their production capacity, in order to limit Switzerland's ability to manufacture for the Germans.

Regards