What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with 16 cm trench mortar shell

William49

Ordnance approved
Who can help with this 16 mm German trench mortar shell from WW I. Length is approx. 625 mm. The shell has a screwed base. Inside the shell is placed an unknown cylindrical body with a length of 450 mm. I have never seen before such shell with a screwed base. Additionally I have attached a British drawing from a HE shell.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 45
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 52
Presse-papier01.jpg

On this low-res drawing, it seems that the driving band or the studs are part of the body by design like the one you show.

It's the first time I seen such internal design.
Sometimes we find it in France but never seen on x-ray such a pierced wall inside.
Base is also uncommon. Common chemical projectiles found in France are one piece, no base screwed.

Thank you to all members who give a thread to this ammunition. Meanwhile I think it is an experience trench mortar shell. Common shells in this caliber either where filled with explosive or with chemical agent CG.
By the way the German drawing in the thread from sgdbdr has a mistake. A safety fuse (No. 4 in the drawing ) is not correct. It is an electric wire!