What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with 2PR

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I'm lost with this one dated 1915 ?
-What is the use of the head plug ? Transit plug or fired only with base fuze ?
-I assume marking I.N.T. means Mark I Night Tracer so not sure it's the good fuze (?)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.JPG5.jpg

2Pr Tracer a.jpg2Pr Tracer b.jpg2Pr Tracer c.jpegThis 2Pr Vickers Tracer looks the same as my example and the hollow nose plug is correct. Your base fuze is wrong and looks like a 3Pr base fuze?
Same left hand thread but the shell needs a proper tracer to screw in with a base hole. There seems little info on these early projectiles.
Japan also used them painted orange with the cavity empty and a base tracer screwed in. I look forward to more information.

The Projectile, QF, night tracer, 2-pr, Mark I NT |C| was ordered as a practice shell - "made of forged steel. It has parallel walls and a separate screwed on head which has two key flats formed on opposite sides." The List of Changes paragraphs 16635 and 18805 refer, the relevant details as shown below. When supplied without tracer fitted, the shell was plugged with Plug No.7 (stamped P7).

The January 1915 order for 500 NT practice shell from Vickers Ltd is attached. Though promised by February, many orders at this time were delivered behind schedule.

Attachments

• Orders 2-pr NT.jpg
    Orders 2-pr NT.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 25
  • Para 16635  internal tracer.jpg
    Para 16635 internal tracer.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Para 18805, text.jpg
    Para 18805, text.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
P7 Brass plug. Correct night tracer, unsure of mark,item shown is used and the trace cavity is empty.

Attachments

• dartmoor 0512 225.jpg
    dartmoor 0512 225.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 19
  • bomb stuff 024.jpg
    bomb stuff 024.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 18
  • bomb stuff 026 (2).jpg
    bomb stuff 026 (2).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 20