What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with .303 head stamp

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Right, I have a fired case with K arrow with I underneath F VII 11-40

I think I am correct with - Kirkee Arsenal, Poona-3, Kirkee, India, mk7, Nov-1940

So is this a standard ball bullet that should be in here, what material and what size/shape

many thanks
Richard.

KF

Yes, you are correct with your identification.

As it is a Ball Mark VII the bullet can only be one shape, a 174 grain spitzer. Also, given the date, the envelope material would only be cupro-nickel.

You have to appreciate that the mark of the ammunition defines the whole round, including the bullet. If the bullet was any other shape it would not be a Ball Mark VII. See the section in my book about identification by bullet shape.

Regards
TonyE

many thanks, do you have a photo of the bullet I am looking for, am I correct in thinking this is the pointed silver coloured non magnetic bullet type

I would just like to put this round back together correctly for my collection, it will always be a fired primer so I am not trying to make something what it isnt I would just like it to look correct

cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,
do you have one? if not I have one from a '42 case I pulled yesterday,yours if you want it,I'll put it in with your other bits

Tony

many thanks, do you have a photo of the bullet I am looking for, am I correct in thinking this is the pointed silver coloured non magnetic bullet type

I would just like to put this round back together correctly for my collection, it will always be a fired primer so I am not trying to make something what it isnt I would just like it to look correct

cheers
Richard

As long as you use a correct contemporary bullet (ideally from the same manufacturer if it is base stamped) I don't think anyone could be accused of making it something it is not.

In any case, a 1940 KF Mark VII is fairly easily replaced with a complete round.

Cheers
TonyE

Hi chaps,
bullet is from a K^F 11-42 VII case, I was pulling the bullet to inert it but the neck cracked!No base stamp and it will need cleaning up(easy to do in a electric drill)

Cheers
Tony

No prob's on the cleaning I throw my stuff in a vibrating tumbler with coco shells it cleans stuff up great

Rich.

Vibration cleaning

It would not apply in this case, but vibration cleaners are a tad dodgy if the bullets have tip colours or the cases have any lacquered markings.

Regards
TonyE