What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help With 30x170 Rarden Projectiles

BEAR64

Hi All,

Picked these Rarden rounds up a while back and need help to identify if the projectiles are correct for cases.

The steel cased round is one of the very early (1964 dated) Italian experimental rounds however, i'm convinced the projectile is either a home-made effort or an early dummy or unfinished prototype projectile that has been re-banded very badly. I'm leaning more towards a home-made effort.

The second is definitely a genuine AP-T projectile with steel driving band, stated as APSE by what seems to me to be home done stencilling on the case.
Is this a Rarden projectile and if not, what case might it belong to?

Would appreciate your views and advice.

BEAR.

30MM RARDEN ROUNDS.jpg30MM RARDEN PROJOS.jpg30MM RARDEN PROJO BASES.jpg30MM RARDEN HEADSTAMPS.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but why has an italian case got a chorley stencil on it

Tomsk,

Italian case, British filled.

Bear64,

A L5A1 had a BXP case with a SFM primer. The APSE projectile has a screw in base with two holes for a peg spanner.

TimG

Last edited:
Thanks TimG,

What are your thoughts on the two projectiles in my photos, Rarden or not, badly banded one genuine or not?

BEAR.