What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with 47 X 384mm Round Please

ordnance

Premium Member
I recently acquired this 47mm explosive round and need some identification help. The case is 384mm long and headstamped "ENZ 1915 20". The projectile is a high explosive type with a base fuze. It is 175,5mm long without the fuze installed and has a deep explosive cavity about 141mm long. There is a proof mark visible on the projectile body and bottom of fuze that appears to be an intertwined S and W within a circle.

I think the ENZ headstamp means the case was made by Enzesfelder Metalwerke in Enzesfeld, Austria but that's as much as I currently know. Is the round for use by Austrian Forces or export to another country? Significance of green band? Is the S-W proof identifiable to anyone? Naval? Coastal defense? Other use? Any help appreciated.PICT0001.JPGPICT0002.jpgPICT0003.jpgPICT0004.jpgPICT0005.jpgPICT0006.jpgPICT0009.jpgPICT0010.jpg

S W= Skoda Werke, Austria. 384mm is close to my Hotchkiss 3 pdr, so it could be an Austrian production Hotchkiss long 3 pdr. There is a shorter 47 x128R for the revolving gun.. Probably Naval use as the 3 pdr was a common Navy weapon. Sure looks like a 3 pdr. Going to put it up on auction?

Hello,

I'm sure Fert could give us more details on this round.
I think it's an autro-hungarian 4.7cm naval round with M/15 base fuze.

Regards

Austro Hung 4.7 naval.jpgnaval fuze 4.7 austro.jpg

I show 3 Austrian 47mm naval guns in use in WW1. One was a license built Hotchkiss, 47mm SFK L33 H of 1890. The other 2 were Skoda guns of 1914 L44 and the 47mm SFK L44 S introduced in 1897. This gun was the standard Austro-Hungarian rapid fire gun up to 1918. The projectile was 4 calibres long or 3.5 calibres for a steel Common shell. Hope this helps.

Great information and it sure appears to be the Austro-Hungarian Naval round. Guess my initial thought wasn't too far off. I told the seller I couldn't identify it but guessed it might be Austrian or Italian, or at least European. I wish I knew how it found its way to the American West coast 100 years later. Thanks again to all who responded.

Rick