What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with ID of Projectile

EODONE

Ordnance Approved
Hello Members,
I had the good fortune to come across a piece of "Trench Art" that appears to have be a projectile (Not Solid shot) converted into a Cheroot or fuse trimmer? it's a fine job but I've no idea what the round was used for. any ideas please.

REgards John

Attachments

• Projectile 1.JPG
    Projectile 1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Projectile 2.JPG
    Projectile 2.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Projectile 3.JPG
    Projectile 3.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 66
Looks like a WW1 37x94R shell, converted to a cigar cutter. I have seen a few smilar ones before.

Yes, I have the same, it's a cigar cutter. There was told me that some manufacturors made same shells as "public relation" gifts. Is it true ? I don't known !

yoda

VSM official trench art

I was told that after the end of world war 1 Vickers sons and Maxim engineering works had vast quantities of these 37 mm shells left over with no contracts to sell them or even the prospect of any sales.
A dedicated team was assigned with the sole purpose of ridding the stores and wharehouses of the vast stock but without scrapping them.

Hence the many very similar "Trench art" items that are fotunately still surviving today.

ID Help

Thank you all for the in put but can anybody produce drawing / info on this item before it was made in to a cigar cutter, please.

REgard John/

vickers trench art

Interesting as the common old Jap. Hotchkiss also often appear with a pair of holes in them and I have had 4 rounds made into 2 pairs of art with a brass 5 bar gate between them. 2pr

Hi. The projectile is German, probably around 1900. It has a crimp groove, which became common after the adoption of the Maxim pom pom.Specifically, would gave to have the width of the bands to make a closer ID, Highlandotter

Help con'td

No base marking on the projectile and I did find it in a charity shop in Scotswood, Newcastle on Tyne (1.50p) this is less than one mile from the Vickers Armstrong Factory, if thats of any help.

REgards John.