What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with identification please!

jonbon

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I believe from the markings on it it's 1942, that's about all I can tell really. The markings are: No 251 IA E.A.C 1942, this is on the very top of the shell, which I believe is the fuse. on the underside/ bottom is ㊶ W.D.C IZ CL-D.

The fuse unscrews and the chamber is empty. On the main body of the shell there's a copper band about 2/3 down near the bottom and just under that a groove which goes all the way round the circumference.

The whole shell is approx 6"- 7" long and about 2-3cm in diameter at it's widest.

I would say from the weight that the main part is steel and the fuse section is aluminium??

I will try and put some images up also.

Cheers guys.

Attachments

• DSC_5569.jpg
    DSC_5569.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_5571.jpg
    DSC_5571.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_5565.jpg
    DSC_5565.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_5570.jpg
    DSC_5570.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_5572.jpg
    DSC_5572.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_5568.jpg
    DSC_5568.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_5567.jpg
    DSC_5567.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_5566.jpg
    DSC_5566.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi Jonbon,
What you have there is a British WW2 dated 40mm Bofors projectile with a number 251 fuze fitted, a nice piece to have there should be no problem finding a case for it if you wanted one. Here is a picture of one with it's original paint on to give you a idea of what it would have looked like, also if you do a search for 40mm you will find a few more and plenty of info. Have added a diagram of the fuze for you as well.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 40mm Bofors British 002.jpg
    40mm Bofors British 002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi Jonbon,
What you have there is a British WW2 dated 40mm Bofors projectile with a number 251 fuze fitted, a nice piece to have there should be no problem finding a case for it if you wanted one. Here is a picture of one with it's original paint on to give you a idea of what it would have looked like, also if you do a search for 40mm you will find a few more and plenty of info.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Weasel,

Thanks for the info, I aquired it about 15 years ago now, and recently thought i'd find out a bit about it and if it's worth anything. When you say case what do you mean exactly?

Regards,

Jonbon.

Ah I see, this is just the top bit.... the case being the thing that this slips into!

Last edited:
Case for 40/60 Bofors.

Case Bofors 40-60-rim.jpgCase Bofors 40-60.jpg.

What you need is one of these with a suitable wartime date !

Note the undercut just above the rim and do not confuse this case with a longer one of the same calibre that does not have the undercut.

Nice that you have a really good condition fuze with your projectile as these can be difficult to get hold of.

You should be able to get a nice dated case for somewhere between 5-00 and 15-00

Good luck with your search and we look forward to seeing a "complete" round.

Last edited:
View attachment 55197View attachment 55196.

What you need is one of these with a suitable wartime date !

Note the undercut just above the rim and do not confuse this case with a longer one of the same calibre that does not have the undercut.

Nice that you have a really good condition fuze with your projectile as these can be difficult to get hold of.

You should be able to get a nice dated case for somewhere between 5-00 and 15-00

Good luck with your search and we look forward to seeing a "complete" round.

Hi Chris,

Cheers for that, I'm considering selling the projectile, but I was interested in finding out a bit more about it, i.e. where it was made etc as I live on the old R.O.F site near Leyland Lancashire.

Also would it be more desirable with a case?

Regards,

Jonbon.

Hi Chris,

Cheers for that, I'm considering selling the projectile, but I was interested in finding out a bit more about it, i.e. where it was made etc as I live on the old R.O.F site near Leyland Lancashire.

Also would it be more desirable with a case?

Regards,

Jonbon.

Like all these things a complete item will sell quicker than a part item. (in my opinion anyway)
The dealers aften hang on to single parts until the rest comes along, they pair them up and up the price accordingly :)argh:)