What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Italian Breda M35 series

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I try to understand the Breda M35 family.

Ok for the red one (HE).
I'm looking for informations on :
-1- black inert dummy grenade (diagram)
-2- white with red band practice grenade (diagram and pictures). What means "a sola cassula" ? What is the small weight charge of TNT ?
-3- unpainted with red band (diagram). Is it an inert dummy grenade or a practice grenade with a small explosive charge ?
-4- Smoke grenade (pictures-diagram)
-5- Smoke-Incendiary grenade (pictures-diagram).

Regards

(Pictures from http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/europe/italy/breda35.html and http://www.talpo.it/breda.html)

doc.jpg

Dummy
m35 dummy.jpg

Practice

m35 prac.jpg

Practice or Dummy

M35 pract.jpg

Hello,

1-black dummy grenade has woods piece inside to reach the original weight. No live parts, only for training in throw
BREDASMONTATA.JPG

2 - Practice - a sola cassula: Explosive and detonator are inert. Only the ignition cap it's live. Identical to live grenades. White painted with lower red stripe.

3 - Unpaninted with central red band: wartime production, live hand granade identical to the overall red painted.

4 and 5 - I have something but I need to find it. I hope to post later

regards

Hello,

here a pic of Breda mod 35 F (fumogena = smoke) or FI (Fumogena Incendiaria = smoke inendiary). Grenades were painted red/black and specific marking F or FI was applied in the base with white paint.
IMG_5298.JPG

Breda mod 35 F, smoke had the explosive charge replaced with carbon tetrachloride, zink and zink oxide compound. It produced a thick 3mx3m cloud.
Breda mod 35FI, incendiary smoke had the explosive charge replaced with 90gr of white phosphor and same compound of smoke grenade. It produce a thick 10mx4m cloud and phosphor spark for 10m.
both hand grenades was used for anti tank fight.

best regards

Birllant, thank you Fert.

What is the real weight charge of the Breda 35 high explosive ; all documentations I read give different weight (from 43 to 60 gr !!) ?

Regards

Last edited:
Hi,
you are welcome.
Breda mod 35 had 60gr of TNT/Binitro-naftalina compound. Source Italian 1938 and 1941 manuals.

best regards