What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with WW1 Cartridge Case Maker Monograms - List 1

Darkman

My friend Ron (who does not have a computer) has for a long time wanted to find out who the following cartridge case makers are.
This is his first WW1 era list and I will in a few days post his second WW1 list (unusual monograms) and his WW2 list.

Sorry about the overall quantity, but he has a lot of unknown cases collected over many years.

Any help in identification really appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme

No.
Monogram
Case
Year
A & J M A
MFG. Co
4.5 How
C.C & F
18 P[SUP]R[/SUP]
Co
18 P[SUP]R[/SUP]
C.P.R.
4.5 How
D.C.P.C.
4.5 How
LLM
4.5 How
M.A.C.N.
18 P[SUP]R[/SUP]
M [SUP]R[/SUP][SUP] Y[/SUP]
18 P[SUP]R[/SUP]

G-Day Graeme,
Say howdy to Ron for me.

I have also got a query on cart case monograms. Mainly for MSF, I have seen this in Australia on 18pdr, 25pdr, 3"20Cwt cases.

MS was Salisbury in South Australia, MF was Footscray in Victoria, but MSF??? I don't know if it is even Australian.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Regards Ozzi.

A & J M A MFG. Co is Albert and J.M. Anderson Manufacturing Company, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Co is Cossipore Arsenal, which was also in Calcutta.

MSF Is Metal and Steel Factory, Ishapore, Calcutta, India. I have a WW2 Era 3.7" Howitzer case with this marking.

CC&F Canadian Car & Foundry Co, Montreal
CPR Canadian Pacific Railway, Winnipeg
M RY Midland Railway, Derby

D.C.P.C. I know as "D.C.P.Co." which should be "Dominion Copper Products Company" in Canada

Any chance of a photo of the monograms?

It's possible, but not easy or likely to be very quick as the cases don't belong to me. I'm enquiring for a friend and only going from his handwritten notes.
If you would like to see any headstamps in particular PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Last 2!

Only 2 left unknown.

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Graeme

6LLM4.5 How1918
7M.A.C.N.18 P[SUP]R[/SUP]1916

Two possibilities.

If No.6 is actually LMM and not LLM then it is Lanston Monotype Co., USA
If No.7 is a variation of "MAC/L" then it is MacFarlane Electrical Co., London.

REgards
TonyE

Graeme,

There's a problem here as one can't see the monogram as it appears on the case. In the original list MRY, which was identified as Midland Railway, was contracted, as were other railway companies to clean and repair cases. With LLM, without knowing where it appears on the case etc., it's hard to know whether it is a makers' monogram, repair station or inspector's mark - in the last instance, chances of identification are nil. MACN, again not knowing in what context it appears makes it difficult. If these letters appear on a Canadian case, especially one made by the Canadian Cartridge Company, it would appear to be some form of batch/lot number. The case may be of North American manufacture as it appears that a lot of North American cartridge manufacturers had long titles.

Regards

Tim

Thanks Tony and Tim,

I see the problem - the monogram may be a sub-contracted repairer, rather than the manufacturer depending on the location on the case. I would have thought they would have been in the 3 o'clock position, but as I have not personally seen the cases, I cannot verify that. I will try to get photos (including the MRY) in due course.

Thanks,

Graeme