What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help

CitizenX

I have recently been having a sort out of the house as you do at this time of year and have come accross a Brass shell. I am afraid I have no knowledge in this area at all and no longer want the item and am looking to sell it however I am unsure as to:

1) What the item is
2) What sort of price if any it would fetch
3) Whether it is legal to sell such an item as a private seller

This is my first attempt at using a forum site to gather such information so may I just say sorry in advance if I sound stupid or am doing something wrong.

I have attempted to attach photos of the item.

I hope someone can help me.

CitizenX

Attachments

• DSCF3029.jpg
    DSCF3029.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF3031.JPG
    DSCF3031.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF3032.jpg
    DSCF3032.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 36
Hi

What you have is a British 37mm High Explosive shell for the Maxim 1 Pounder Automatic cannon.

It was likely made by Vickers, Son and Maxim at Barrow-In-Furness in Cumbria.

Here is a link the a Wikipedia page on the Gun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_1_pounder_pom-pom

Does the fuze on the shell nose unscrew? If the shell is empty and the case has no powder in it, it is perfectly legal to sell in the UK. It should be worth 12 to 15.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks for that information I had a look at the link you attached as well and am confident that is what I have as it has the VSM logo on the base. I shall try and sell it and see what price it fetches as it is not a item which I really want.

Thanks again
CitizenX

Hi CitizenX,
Feel free to put it up for sale in our classified section, i am sure it will go.
Best regards Weasel.