What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's one recently found on a Quantico Range

Ranger Jim

Ordnance approved
This item was found during a range sweep at Quantico, VA. Sorry about the quality (and size) of the photos - the Marine EOD tech who posted this on Fragweb has been asked for a better photo and measurements.

The fins look vaguely familiar (more like a mortar round than a recoilless projectile) and the head looks like some sort of an anti-tank round.

Anyone recognize this item?

Photo 1:
UnknownUXO-Quantico.jpg

Photo 2:
UnknownUXO-Quantico-1.jpg

Jim,

While I can't be certain without some measurements, I'm pretty sure they have a variation of the 37mm stick bomb developed for the M3 anti-tank gun in WWII. It looks like the T21 HEAT variation but it will take a while to dig out some data and images.

These were a copy of the German stick bomb for the Pak36 with several different types developed late in the war. They were tested at Aberdeen and Quantico and had a lot of interest from the Marines as they were the only ones using the 37mm AT gun late in the war and were looking for increased firepower and a way to knock out log bunkers and the occasional armored vehicle.

Well, the reports weren't buried as deep as expected but can't find any images except some on a 35mm contact print. So sorry about the quality of the photos when I get to them. OK, here's a bit of info on the U.S. 37mm stick bombs

Attachments

• stick bomb data 2 .jpg
    stick bomb data 2 .jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 28
  • stick bomb data 3 .jpg
    stick bomb data 3 .jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 20
  • stick bomb data 4 .jpg
    stick bomb data 4 .jpg
    85 KB · Views: 21
  • stick bomb data 5 .jpg
    stick bomb data 5 .jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 21
And some more data and crappy images.....

Attachments

• stick bomb data .jpg
    stick bomb data .jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 33
  • stick bomb 2.jpg
    stick bomb 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 46
  • stick bomb.jpg
    stick bomb.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 66
  • stick bomb 3.jpg
    stick bomb 3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 46
Ranger Jim,

did you get my e-mail?

Mark
Yes I did Mark, but the weather here in Houston has just been too nice for me to spend much time online during the day.... :tinysmile_classes_t

I'll reply by email later this ack emma Tue, Jan 19.

Cheers,
Jim
ps: the smilie is supposed to have sunglasses on it! :tinysmile_twink_t:)

Jim,

While I can't be certain without some measurements, I'm pretty sure they have a variation of the 37mm stick bomb developed for the M3 anti-tank gun in WWII. It looks like the T21 HEAT variation but it will take a while to dig out some data and images.

These were a copy of the German stick bomb for the Pak36 with several different types developed late in the war. They were tested at Aberdeen and Quantico and had a lot of interest from the Marines as they were the only ones using the 37mm AT gun late in the war and were looking for increased firepower and a way to knock out log bunkers and the occasional armored vehicle.

By George and St Barbara, I think you have it!
Fins? Check √
Tube with holes? Check √
Nose appears to be a shape charge? Check √
Item found at a range at Quantico. Check and mate, Mate!

I've d/l-ed the illustration and will post for the good Gunny

I've d/led the illustration you posted and will send it to the good gunny for his info. Should s/he come back with an "Affirm, Ranger.", may I cite user "Ordnance" as well as the BOCN? No sweatty da to me, but I do like to give credit where credit is due.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

Glad I could help get an ID for those needing it. Sure, it's always nice to be credited for such info. Of course, as a die hard collector, credit is always best when it takes the form of chunks of inert ordnance. :tinysmile_twink_t::tinysmile_twink_t:

I'll admit that item is about as obscure as it gets with almost nothing in the usual printed sources. I only found the data on it from some research conducted at the National Archives about 20 years ago on the 37mm gun. Just one of those bits of information that turn up and you can't stand to put the report back in the file box without some xeroxing first. You simply KNOW that if you don't preserve this bit of odd information while you are holding it in your hands, it won't see the light of day for another 30 or 40 years.