What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's One Way To Go....90mm M71...

pzjgr

Just finished this one up today...believe it or not, this is turned from a built up block of hard maple!

I saw a guy selling it on eBay, he apparently made a few. I have a 90mm case that needs filling, and figured I'd give it a shot. It looked good in his pics. It arrived unpainted, I have been painting it in stages for a week or so, and finally finished it...

I think it cam out pretty decent, I'll post a pic once its in the case...if the guy could branch out, they'd make good place fillers....

Attachments

• DSC05588.JPG
    DSC05588.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC05589.JPG
    DSC05589.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 66
The paint job looks nice, although the windscreen on your fuze section should be a metallic color, not shiny silver but a bit duller.

The replica isn't too bad, but without a defined bourrelet it resembles a rocket warhead till you get to the rotating band.

But I also know what its like to have an empty case sitting around naked. How much was he asking for them?

It actually does have a defined bourrelet it just didn't get picked up in the pic...

What type fuze would it use? I assumed like an M564 or 563...which I have a couple of, so I just painted it like that...mine have a grayish tip with black body....

The price was decent, I paid like $43 shipped....

Crap...I answered my own question I should have painted the fuze to represent an M48 or M51 type PD fuze, shouldn't I have....

For WWII, the AAA projectiles used a time fuze M43 and variants or late war proximity, and the ground guns and tanks used either a concrete piercing or M48 or M51 series PD fuze, or proximity.

More modern rounds used through Nam for ground/tank use would use M51A5 PD, M557, M520, M513 Prox, and M564. So your dark fuze could be a 564.

Last edited: