What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hes

Chris

Ordnance approved
Can anyone tell me the details of the High Explosive Substitute in the 120 mm HESH/Practice like the L33A1
I only have information that it is: SG 1.57 (what ever that can be.) :questionmark:

Regards,

Chris

I dont have any details to hand of what comprises the HES but I can confirm that for the 120mm SH Prac L32A6 the Main Filling consists of 4.256 kg of High Explosive Substitute (HES) which is placed in the Shell Body and weighed prior to assembly to the ShellBase. If required, a layer of Lead Shot is added and covered in HES to adjustthe filled weight to match that of the Shell 120 mm Tank HESH L31A7. Prior to assembly a Felt Disc is fitted over the Main Filling.

Good evening gents,

I really don't know what HES is made of but... since I picked-up a few busted open 76 and 105 SH/PRAC-T here and there, I can tell you that it is a lot like hard clay or even "play-dohwy"-like... It is an Inert Materiel, use of curse for simulating the weight of the HESH counterpart. It is also for ballistic purposes. You also find HES in the nose part of HESH projectile to allow the projectile to "Squash" on its target followed by the explosive behind it and do its thing... defeating armor!!! Personally I think that the manufacturer should have come up with another name because it is a bit confusing... it does not explode at all. I do not think I have any particular info on the making of the HES but I do have a bit of info on the 76mm ARMD C SH/PRAC-T that Canadian have been using for quite a while and stopped in 2006. I think Tom might be right on the SG marking. I hope the info might have helped you in your quest.

Cheers.
Luc.

76mm ARMD C, SH-PRAC-T, Page 1.jpg76mm ARMD C, SH-PRAC-T, Page 2.jpg76mm ARMD C, SH-PRAC-T, Page 3.jpg76mm ARMD C, SH-PRAC-T, Page 4.jpg76mm ARMD C, SH-PRAC-T, Page 5.jpg76mm ARMD C, HESH drawimg.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it is related to density as per the post above from snufkin.
The live filling for a 120mm HESH L31 is RDX/Wax 8 which has a density of 1.55 g/ml on firing to give a velocity of detonation of 7960 m/sec. (Source - Service Textbook of Explosives JSP333).
The HES filling of the practice round must be of an almost identical density so as to replicate the ballistic characteristics of the live round. The stated density, or Specific Gravity (SG) of the HES may therfore be 1.57.
Does this sound right?

Last edited: