What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hey everyone

KABOOMBOY

Hello everyone I hoping things are going very good for you all. It's almost the weekend for some and for the rest im guessing its Friday. Anyway here's the deal, I came across this site in school today and thought that it will help out myself as well other students. I am on my Ammo tech course QL5 and we have a presentation with vintage ammo. Now I got most of the things but there is a few things that have stumped us and we would like your help if we could. Here are the pictures;

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0039-1.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0050.jpg

Hi, the third one down is a 6pr7cwt apds projectile.
Hope that helps.
Dave.

looks like

25 Pdr & 3 inch mortar projectiles, but can you add any markings on these ~

Me thinks!

Number 1 looks like a 4.2 Inch Smoke W/P Mortar Bomb

Number 2 Looks like 25 Pounder 3.45" Illuminating Shell

Number 3 Exactly as per SG500 ident

Number 4 Fuze Mortar Number 162 Perc

Number 5 Pure guess that it is an electric det from an air dropped munition

Number 6 Fuze number 117 pec for HE shells

Number 7 L35A1 Fuze Mechanical Time L35A1 or equivalent.

My pennies worth-for exact ID it would be nice to "read" the stampings on these items to ensure one is corect.

Good luck with your course:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Last edited:
Hello,

Photo No. 6

Although similar in appearance to No. 117 fuze, the knurling around the body shows it to be a No. 119, which should be stamped on it.

Regards

TimG.

hey thank you to all that responded. I had a sit down today about how I should post stuff and really now that I look at it I was completely wrong in what I did. I just gave you a bunch of pictures with no markings or anything and said have at it,whoops. Sorry guys that was wrong of me.

If a moderator can just delete this post and let me start off the right way it would be much appreciated. I will post a new topic tomorrow and we can go from there. Take care and have a super weekend.

Hi Guys
Sounds & looks like an interesting course
Sorry Chris you`re in the ball park but fairly sure no 5 is an `exploding` bolt or squib for jettisoning either the munitions or more likely the payload pylon. The plug is a standard NATO MS or NAS cannon plug. I would only expect to find 2 pins in this plug?
If ever they decide to have a clearout Kaaboomboy I`ll hepl shift it all!!

A few suggestions I would make when you post photos and info regarding identification:

1. List a caliber or diameter for the item, and a length, and any lettering stamped in the metal.
2. For projectiles, rotating band design is important.
3. For projectiles, try and shoot a photo perpendicular to the side, with a tape measure in the photo, so we can see size (length)
4. Photo of the rotating band is very helpful, with distance band to base, and band width.
5. Details of the fuze are important, thread size, LH or RH thread, lettering, etc. and a photo if possible, removed from the projo if possible.
6. For cartridge cases, mouth diameter and length, and photo or description of the headstamps on the case and primer.
7. A couple of good photos will help the most.

John

Thanks Hicky

Hi Guys
Sounds & looks like an interesting course
Sorry Chris you`re in the ball park but fairly sure no 5 is an `exploding` bolt or squib for jettisoning either the munitions or more likely the payload pylon. The plug is a standard NATO MS or NAS cannon plug. I would only expect to find 2 pins in this plug?
If ever they decide to have a clearout Kaaboomboy I`ll hepl shift it all!!

Thanks Hicky for the info-not my thing hence the pure guesswork !