What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Quality Japanese PDF File

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,

You can all rush to delete your poor quality copy of OP 1667 chapters 1 to 3 to the rubish bin.

Here is the link to a high quality copy of OP 1667 Vol. 1 which covers bombs, mines, & grenades. it is a huge file of about 158MB in size so will take a while to download.

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/35740591/OP-1667-VOL-1"]OP 1667 VOL. 1[/ame]

Happy downloading,
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

OP 1667, Vol 1

This OP is a result of the Mobile Explosive Investigation Unit Four at Pearl Harbor in WWII. It was an intelligence bulletin written and illustrated by the MEIU4 personnel and BUORD later published it as an Ordnance
Pamphlet
(OP).
This particular issue is stolen for Explosive Ordnance Disposal School. (EODS), Indian Head,Maryland. The school is now at Eglin Air Force Base Florida. Not that I care but technically you are receiving stolen property.
Regards,
John
P.s. will the US prosecute? I doubt it, it's too old. Just some trivia.

Hi John,

Is there a "grandfather" or "sunset" clause for classified docs where they become "unclassified" so to speak? (i.e. like 50 years?)

I would assume that some sensitive "classified" stuff will never surface (i.e. Kennedy's assassination / Roswell......)
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Thanks B'ville.
Even though it wouldn't load. Probably some "setting" I have established on my computer, maybe inadvertantly. Hopefully, there's another place to access it.

That sucks about it being "stolen". With all due respect, I suspect a large percentage of this forum's items on show have been garnered in a similar fashion. A lunchpail purchase, if you will. Oh well..

On the security clearance issue, I found an interesting 33 page pamphlet covering the entire topic. A marking booklet explaining the ins and outs per U.S. military/gov't. needs. Having been in a classified work environment, I was "user" familiar with the requirements. This pamphlet covers pretty much all of the specs necessary to make it so.

A sample quote, pertinent to the question if it is still classified:

"Declassify on" Line
[FONT=Times,Times][FONT=Times,Times]The last essential marking indicates the duration of classification. A classifier must choose one of the following declassification instructions, selecting whenever possible, the declassification instruction that will result in the shortest duration of classification. Remember, the X1 through X8 exemption categories formerly used to exempt information from 10-year declassification can no longer be used.[/FONT]
[/FONT]Event less than 10 years:
[FONT=Times,Times][FONT=Times,Times]Document or information is dated November 1, 2003, and the informations national security sensitivity will lapse 15 days after Director, Dept. of Good Works completes his trip.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times,Times]And it goes on.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times,Times]Here's the link to the whole thing:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times,Times]http://www.archives.gov/isoo/training/marking-booklet.pdf[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Hi John,

Is there a "grandfather" or "sunset" clause for classified docs where they become "unclassified" so to speak? (i.e. like 50 years?)

I would assume that some sensitive "classified" stuff will never surface (i.e. Kennedy's assassination / Roswell......)
Thanks
Cheers
Drew
25 years in the U.S. but when the government releases documents after the 25 year date about half will be blacked out anyway........Dano

The method of attaching the file is deceptive. Nothing comes up in the window in BOUGAINVILLE's post

If you click on the yellow lettering at the top of the window in the posting, it will take you to scribd where the file resides. You then need to have a login for scribd, and click on download and it will let you download the file.

It downloaded fine for me and it is an excellent scan.

Hi Slick,

You should be able to load it as have just checked and so far have had 43 people read it and 7 downloads.

Here is another link but this time for a high quality PDF file on Japanese Ground & Air Forces. (Hope this one not stolen as well!!!) The truth be known I reckon that most docs wouldv'e been lifted at some time or other. Just like alot of the ordnance.

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/35747826/Japanese-Ground-Air-Forces"]Japanese Ground & Air Forces[/ame]

Hope that you can view them,
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Thanks B'ville.
Even though it wouldn't load. Probably some "setting" I have established on my computer, maybe inadvertantly. Hopefully, there's another place to access it.[FONT=Times,Times]
[/FONT]

25 years in the U.S. but when the government releases documents after the 25 year date about half will be blacked out anyway........Dano

Sounds very familiar to "Freedom Of Information" (FOI) requests - more ink used to black stuff out than readable print!!

...and they got the bloody hide to charge us $$$ for it as well!!!

Cheers
Drew

Thanks Bougainville!

As you know well, OpNav 1667 is one of my two bibles when it comes down to Japanese ammo (the other one being Ken Elks' books).
Very, very great to finally have a good quality copy of it!
Now, hopefully chapters 4 and 5 will also follow...;)

Cheers,
Olafo

HAZ:

Got it. Muchos gracias. It's that "trick" thing. Another reason why people call me dumb :tongue:

ogreve:

Ditto

B'ville:

Again. Thanks. Glad you didn't get caught:smile:

Hi Olafo,
As for chapters 4 & 5 that is available as a very good reprinted soft cover book that was done in 1993 by Julin Books, 5282 Ridan Way, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl 33418. It is known as TM 9-1985-5 Japanese Explosive Ordnance (Army Ammunition Navy Ammunition) The illustrations are very good but all of them have a verying degree of light shading to the background, not like the neutral background that one would prefer. Must've been to do with how they reproduced them from the original document.

Here is the link to the website where one can buy it for around USD$25. Well worth it as it is also one of my bibles as well.

http://www.chartingnature.com/books.cfm?book=B15515

Cheers,
Robert

Thanks Bougainville!

As you know well, OpNav 1667 is one of my two bibles when it comes down to Japanese ammo (the other one being Ken Elks' books).
Very, very great to finally have a good quality copy of it!
Now, hopefully chapters 4 and 5 will also follow...;)

Cheers,
Olafo

OP Classification;

To All;
My commdent was meant to be a little trivia on the orgin of the OP, not topersuade you not to download.
In the era this OP was published it would have been Confidential. This OP, along with all the others of this time period have been converted to the military 60 series EOD publications for all services. By now it is morre than likely "For Official Use Only (FOUO). In the days of its publication only the originator could change its classification. I have all of them on DVD and I am not worried abot it. Classification and downgrading have changed drastically since those early days and is now totally different in order to downgrade tons of Confidential material.
All the Best,
John aka Bart

OP 1667, Vol. 1

Thanks Boug.
I just downloaded it and it took 4 minutes. It is a large file however.
It is marked "Restricted" which has not been in use for years. It is akin to FOUO, and is really not a secure classification. The original MEIU#4 publications produced at our BD School classified it Confidential. Presumably when publisjhed by BuORD in 1946 it was downgraded to Restricted as it contained no RsPs.
For our members who have low vision, like myself, your text readers can read it for you as it is a PDF text file and not an image file. This accounts for the high quality. Unfortunately all my OPs are image files and unreadable by Zoomtext software.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Release of government data is tricky, but Executive Order 12958 "Classified National Security Information" reversed previous classification policies and unless positive action is taken to show that National Security Information in the documents is of permanent historical value, 25 years or older, is still sensitive, and and should continue to be protected, such documents will be declassified. There was a five year period, ending April 16, 2000, to allow such documents to be reviewed and sensitivites determined before automatic declassification was implemented. At the end of that period all documents which were of permanent historical value, were 25 years or older, and had not been positively shown to require continued protection (even if not yet reviewed) would be automatically declassified. The only written exceptions were documents made under the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, and documents classifed Restricted Data or Formerly Restricted Data. Basically that included documents on nuclear, chemical and biological materials and other odds and ends.
It opened the barn door for declassification, without having to go thru the Freedom of Information Act hassles.

OP 1667, Vol 1

Bob,
Thank you for the classification system update. I have been retired for 26 years now and I am sure it will continue to change.
Just another bit of trivia for our members:
The US Navy Bomb Disposal School opened on January 27, 1942 at the Washington Navy Yard (old Gun factory). After its third class graduated the school moved to the campus of the American University in NW Washington, D.c. and remained there until it closed its doors on October 1945. The school taught officer and enlisted of the US Navy and Us Marine Corps.
The four MEIUs would send in their intelligence reports and the BD School would print and publish and send them out to all teams in the field.
It was after the war that these precious gems were converted into OPs.
The Army Eod school was being taught at Aberdean Proving Grounds.
UJS navy Mine Disposal was a separate school only for navy officers and enlisted men.
After WWII both all service EOD related schools were combined in 1946 at Indian Head, Maryland and the term EOD was born.
For your interest.
John aka Bart

This particular issue is stolen for Explosive Ordnance Disposal School. (EODS), Indian Head,Maryland. The school is now at Eglin Air Force Base Florida. Not that I care but technically you are receiving stolen property.
Regards,
John
P.s. will the US prosecute? I doubt it, it's too old. Just some trivia.

John,

Many of the old hard copy documents like this were purged from units in the 1990's because they were transferred to the digital 60 series. For some reason, people got it in their minds that there was no need for the hard copy and they either gave them away or tossed them in the trash.

This included all of the books that were in the required library (to include yours) which is how many of us ended up with actual hard copies for our personal libraries. I found Swearengens book, Tear Gas Munitions in the trash and it proudly sits on my shelf at the office getting used about once a month.

Mike

Government Property;

Mike,
You are right on target. That is exactly what happened, even to OP 1330, the Navy bible for U/W ordnance. I was just pointing out that the copy being downloaded was taken from EODS at Indian Head. I know the book I authored and illustrated on ACW projectiles went into private collections when all the pubs were being microfished way before they werre digitized and placed on DVDs.
It is a handsome copy alright .
When did you serve? Branch?
Regards,
John

When did you serve? Branch?
Regards,
John

Army, Indianhead class 150S-91 I was in the program from 90 (OJT) until 2001 when I got out at Picatinny.

I spent a few years at Dix while your son was over at the AMWC doing the EOD training. We used to occasionally work/train together.