What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hispano Projectile Query

5th Armored

Hi All-
Just wondering if anybody can tell me anything about this projectile. It looks to me like a 20mm AP but there is a seam around the top as if it should have a fuze. The tip doesn't unscrew so I can't tell if there is a hollow inside. It was sold to me sitting in a Raleigh Cycle co 1942 case - but that's not necessarily the case it was manufactured in. The tip looks silver in the closeup photo but is actually the same black as the body. Cheers, Chris
20mmcloseup.jpg
20mmprojo.jpg

Here are a couple of mine...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342208146.063044.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342208146.063044.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 65
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342208157.841096.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342208157.841096.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 65
Hi,
it is a SAP-I (Semi Armour Piercing Incendiary),the SAPI(R),Representative, will have four round indents,usually just below the yellow band,to 'pinch lock' the cap to the projectile.

Cheers
Tony

Last edited:
P7130008.jpg

Sorry about the bad photo but flash and close up don't really work!...but two of the indents can be seen

It should be red with a white tip......but we do have bit of a problem here,I have come across some dummy versions of these which have a groove machined in the tip to look like it has a removable cap......but we can not be 100% that this is what it is and as it has NOT been fired and the pitting on this projectile may indicate it was a relic at some time and the cap is seized on it could be well be live...so my advice is to get the authorities to check it out and DO NOT ATTEMPT to unscrew the cap

All the best
Tony

Last edited:
It could be either SAPI or SAPI(R) , as the cap is retained by indenting on both types.
The SAPI(R) is really only a blind/inert loaded SAPI,no other difference apart from colour.
Tony's warning is well advised as the SAPI version contains a detonator and incendiary mix.

cheers
Bob

I inerted a few in the 50's ,they had a primer on top of the charge.
Red tip on white proj.. It took 2 rds to make 1 inert.
Frank.

Thank you all for the replies. I have a friend in the army bomb disposal unit so it sounds like the best thing to do here would be to turn it over to him - better safe than sorry!

If he's a mate get him to X-ray it for you....it's still yours if there are no nasties in it:tinysmile_hmm_t:

What about a relic that has has a screwed in cap and not pinched?, it is not in a collection, but found amongst a few others while searching for pieces of a Mosquito that crashed in 1944. The field has just been gone over with a large cultivator and one of the rounds was laying on the surface with the steel cap knocked off. It screws in and has a flat base. Stamped onto the flat base of the tip or cap is 'JAP'. The filling looks like powdered aluminium. I removed and buried it for safety, along with the others .
Would this have been a SAPI?

Last edited:
Corblimy,
I would not touch any more and would mark the spot of the others and contact your local police to get them dealt with.
Beast Weasel.