What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Guard Auxiliary Molotov

Millsman

Premium Member
I'd appreciate any information on the Molotov in the photo.

DSCN0205small.jpg

They were made for the Home Guard in WW2 most likely for the HG Auxiliaries. Note the channel in the glass for the cardboard tube detonator, which was held in by normal insulation tape.

I know of three existing examples. Two in collections and one in the Firepower Museum in Woolwich.

I've not been able to track down a maker and this like many other HG weapons may have been locally made. It's known that a factory was set up in Dorset making Molotovs for the Home Guard but they used standard drinks (beer and Tizer) bottles. These zig zag bottles were specially made.

Any information would be welcome.

John

I know someone who had one of these which I saw just over 40 years ago. I believe he is now deceased.
His was clear glass but had the channel down the side.

A large quantity of these were discovered in the very early 1970s at an Home Guard armoury/magazine that was within a tannery located in Watford (I think).

There is an example in the Royal School of Artillery collection that is incorrectly attributed to being a P.I.R.A weapon.

TimG

I wonder how many these were air rifle targets or got smashed up when they were kids for fun.

Found on Home guard range with other Ordnance related items, no cutlery but thy could have been secrete lemonade drinkers,,,,,,, Dave

DSC00716.jpg DSC00715.jpg