What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoping to identify two nose cone/ fuzes

devortex

Hello,

I recently acquired these two from my grandfather's collection and they will now join my other interesting display pieces. I'd love to know what they are, especially the shorter one. It has a mm scale from 1 to 22 on the outer rim and is marked WB&Co Ltd - No 80 VII - LOT 22 - 8-17 on the underside. The tall one has no markings. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Simon

Attachments

• DSCN9522.jpg
    DSCN9522.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN9523.jpg
    DSCN9523.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 34
Pyrotechnic time Fuze No 80

The first one marked 1 to 22 is a First World War No 80 Pyrotechnic time fuze that would have been fitted to "Shrapnel" shells amongst others.
The 1 to 22 is the timing in seconds that can be set by the gunner before firing to time the "burst" at the right point over the enemy.
Second item=I have no idea.
Thanks for showing us

You may like to look at this one http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/fuse-t72966.html

Last edited:
Heres my tuppence worth.
The tall one looks like a "bullet" screwed on to a shouldered bolt to help lead it through a hole. once the bolt is in place the bullet is unscrewed and replaced with a nut. It looks like it has marks from a stilson wrench where it has been undone.
Cheers
Hangarman

Hi ,

The second item could be a drill round solid brass projectile,i've got a 40mm bofors round ,without the holes but similar striations and dents.
Does it have a thread in the base? is it solid? diameter?

cheers, Bob

eighty

#80 is a British time and percussion fuze. A Krupp design made by Vickers. For 18pr sheapnel shell. Introduced 1905 discontinued 1943. Very similar fuze made by U.S. also. Yours is obviously WW1 dated. Dano

Last edited:
common

are the no. 80 fuses really common then because I have 2, I thought that they were second marks.

Attachments

• Optimized-SDC10473.JPG
    Optimized-SDC10473.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: