What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific air race crash as P-51 hits part of grandstand.

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
My thoughts go out to all those caught up in this horrific crash at a Nevada air race.

Three people were killed and many more injured as the P-51 crashed close to the edge of a packed grandstand.

(There is more information online and on youtube, if you wish to find more details)

Last edited:
A very bad situation indeed. I will just wait it out to see if they can come to an agreement on what caused it?

There is a very good high res pic of the elevator trim tab coming adrift which may have had something to do with the tragedy,
Our thoughts and condolences to the pilots friends and family and friends and families of all the victims,from what I have seen on the various sites it is my oppinion that without the swift actions of the pilot,the accident would have had a much higher death toll,
Regards and condolences,
Don,

They should simply stop flying these vintage aircraft -- it's absurd to continue allowing this since just for the pleasure of a few we are losing both lives and rare aircraft every year. We lost a Mitchell last year, and this year a B17 and now this- soon nothing will be left except a body count.

Awful accident, but in some ways so lucky it hit towards the edges of the crowd and didn't catch fire.
I think it would be a shame thought to stop flying them completely simply due to accidents like this. They are still pretty rare overall.