What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you....

V40

How do you store or show your grenades, in other words do you store them with the spring in tension or do you let the spring rest and then just place the fuse and pin on/through the spoon into the body or through it to the other side?

I am thinking that I will tonight go through and let the stikers go so that the springs will be relaxed.

Does this make any sense to any of you? Having a little trouble thinking the last few days.

Last edited:
I store my Mills loaded. Things like L series grenades, I release the mechanism as they appear cocked anyway and I dont trust the pressed metal as much, though I have never had one break yet.
Rob

Last edited:
My nades are stored loaded but I have also thought about the problem with reduced spring force but havent unloaded the nades yet. There is actually no point in have them loaded when they look loaded, but are not.

Cheers

I've got a number of grenades with fuzes that, if in fired position, will not allow the spoon to be replaced. I leave them cocked to avoid losing pieces.

I leave all the mechanisms cocked.
I have just looked at a mills that i know has not has its pin pulled for over 15 years and the spring was as powerfull as it was when it was made.:tinysmile_shy_t:
paul.

All my U.S. Examples are stored in the "cocked" position, as the spoons will not fit over the parts in the "fired" position. I have 90 Year Old MK1 Examples that the springs are still very strong and will probably still be working much longer then I am.

In early U.S. Examples, I believe that more possible harm could be done to the fuze from removal / re-installation and the possibility of lost or mixed era parts.

My thought is that it does not really matter if the spring loses its "spring" as they are not going to be fired, and the spring is there only as part of the assembly. It is not as important as the deactivating of fire arms.
Gus