What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hungarian(?) rifle signal(grenade)

C00Lib1N

Hi?

Who can help with identify this ordnance?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Probably, this is Hungarian rifle signal(grenade) - smoke or flash type. But - with flat cap - may be Finnish device?
Name - mod.36 or mod.39?
Thank!

Last edited:
Finland used these Hungarian flares during WW2, but they were fired from an about 20 cm long launcher tube. I'll try to post a launcher picture tomorrow.

Here a bad photo of a flare launching attachment for Mosin rifle, of Finnish origin. The flare can be launched either using a ball cartridge or a blank cartridge. If blank is used a special nozzle screw has to be screwed in the launcher to guide more pressure to flare chamber.
These launchers were made in various versions and calibers as Finland during WW2 used at least the following size flares with these devices:
-Finnish diameter 23,7mm
-Russian diameter 24mm
-Hungarian diameter 34,4mm - flat head, Launcher for M/91 Mosin
-Hungarian diameter 31mm - round head, Launcher for M/27 Mosin
-Russian diameter 40,5mm for Diakonov launcher

Attachments

• Launcher.jpg
    Launcher.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 39
Here pictures of Hungarian flares used in Finland during WW2, manual dated 1944. Both types were used in White, Green and Red. Color stripe around package indicated the color. Round nose flares were in 35x75x110mm size packages containing 4 flares. Cylindrical flares in 45x65x170mm packages of 10 flares. Package pictures show original Hungarian packages.

Attachments

• round flare-1.jpg
    round flare-1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 24
  • round flare-2.jpg
    round flare-2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 25
  • cyl flare-1.jpg
    cyl flare-1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 17
  • cyl flare-2.jpg
    cyl flare-2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 27
This interesting topic made me to study and learn new things. I learned that Hungarian flares are launched direct from rifle muzzle - not from a launcher. Thus the launcher picture I posted here earlier is not for Hungarian flares but others.

Finnish WW2 manual states that the cylindrical flares are used with Mosin M/91 - they indeed are as you can see in attached picture. Mosin barrel diameter at muzzle is 15mm.
The same manual states that round nose flares are used with Mosin M/27, barrel diameter 16mm.
Does anyone have such a flare and could measure me the flare bore diameter to confirm this?

According to manual both flare types existed in White, Red and Green.

Attachments

• Mosin.jpg
    Mosin.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 46
The hungarian national colours are RED-WHITE-GREEN.
These flares are marked by colour and mechanically too, so they are distinguishabe at even complete darkness.

The 36M type has been cut at the bottom:
Red: No cut
White: "V"-cut
Green: "W"-cut

The 39M type has stripes at the top:
Red: No stipe
White: One ("I") stripe
Green: Two ("X") stripe.