What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hydraulic Power for Dent Removal in Large Cases

M8owner

I continue my search for the best dent removal tool. The larger the case, the more space and options. I purchased this kit from Harbor Freight Tools for approx. $150. The low profile cylinder worked just fine. The biggest issue is the short travel of the cylinder - only 12mm or 7/16 inches. The device works well, but it only removed approx. half the big dent in the 88mm KwK 43 case that I tested it on. I need to find, or make, a cylinder with 1-2 inches (25-50mm) of travel to make this work really well. The tool has to be assembled inside the case due to the restriction at the case mouth.

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3002.jpg
    IMG_3002.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3005.jpg
    IMG_3005.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 120
Looks to be right handy for the bigger cases. Do you heat the area prior to pressurizing the expander? Maybe a shim on the back side of the "hammer" to effect the rest of the dent. I'm still of the hammer and dolly school. A little tedious but the results prove satisfactory. Sometimes can't even tell there was ever a dent.

I found a new cylinder that is almost the same size as the first, but it has a telescoping piston with 25mm or one inch of travel - more than twice the old one. I also modified the tool so I can add inserts of various sizes. This device is now an outstanding success. You can see the 88mm KwK 43 case has had 90% of the place where it was crushed restored. I have also taken out two big dents in my Russian 115mm brass case. You do have to do some hammering once you get it pumped up.IMG_3016.jpgIMG_3017.jpgIMG_3018.jpg

I thought over this problem also some time ago.

I had the idea of machining two conical half round ends to both plates and using two cones connected with a threaded rod to expand the plates when the distance between both cones is reduced (same system as most dowels work). Maybe you can get more difference in diameter change than with this small hydraulic cylinder.

Or even better combining both systems and replace my threaded rod with a smooth rod inside a tube. The rod is then pulled hydraulically and the tube around acts as a distance piece. That would be a handy tool without the need of fixing the case against rotation.

Last edited:
I am sorry Alpini, I do not follow you. I have now used this device to restore two KwK 43, one Flak 18 and one 115mm case. This device is a world beater. It works quite well in its present configuration.

I absolutely trust you that it works on the cases you listed - it wasn't meant as critics. I just also think about cases with a large relation between a large case diameter and small mouth diameter and generally also mid calibre cases where the hydraulic cylinder won't fit inside. Or do they exist in miniaturized sizes (that would be interesting)?

For example I think about cases shaped like the german WW1 5 cm C/95 cases or 2nd WW 28 mm cases for the 2,8 cm Pz.B.41. It's very difficult to remove dents from such cases especially if the dent is in the lower thick walled part of the case.

Last edited: