What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hyper 76mm Korean War

Gspragge

Premium Member
I picked up a couple of these , for the post
ww2 re-turreted and up gunned Sherman Tank
and I guess we used U.S. made ammunition.
Any body know more, I presume these are the
so called "Hyper Velocity" projectiles.

Attachments

• IMG_986.JPG
    IMG_986.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_988.JPG
    IMG_988.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_990.jpg
    IMG_990.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_985.JPG
    IMG_985.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Your projectiles are the older WWII HVAP design and rotating band style that would have been fired by the 76mm Super Sherman, or the 3 inch gun in the M-10 tank destroyer. The newer design shells would have an aluminum lower body to save weight to increase velocity.

Last edited:
That is the practice version of the HVAP (no tungsten penetrator inside the practice shot).

The HVAP and APCBC both were fired from the usual M26 casing.

These aren't practice projectiles. The M315 is the Service round with WC penetrator. The M26A1B1 steel cases were also in service at that time.

What are the differences between the M26A1B1 and the T19E1B1 steel cases ? These are the 578mm length cases ?

The M26 and variants is a straight tube shape. The other one without looking it up is a bottleneck case for the Walker Bulldog. Totally different gun

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do I think the Sherman was still a 75mm and the 76 didn't show up until the M 41 Walker Bull Dog?

The standard Sherman was 75mm. The super Sherman had the longer 76mm cartridge and gun. They even issued rounds with the 3 inch Navy illuminating projectiles in them. The only U.S. Tank with illuminating ammunition.

Thank you HAZORD. The T19E1B1 case is for the Walker Bulldog. The straight M26 case is shorter at 540 mm ? This helps much as there are quite a few different guns for the Shermans over the years!
Cheers, SHAKY

I believe the British even mounted a 17pdr on them. The only Sherman worthy of battle with a Tiger or Panther. I forget the name they used for it.

The projectiles with very tall bands in which most of the band goes inside the case, are all for the Walker Bulldog exclusively. Almost all of these cases are steel bottleneck design.

The Army projectiles are used in the M26 straight case and the bottleneck 3 inch case for the M10 tank destroyer, and the mobile antiaircraft guns, and the taller bottleneck 3 inch case for the fixed antiaircraft guns. The armor piercing projectiles are only used in the tank/antitank guns, but the m42 HE projectiles are used in all guns except the Bulldog. It has its own with taller band. Is that confusing enough for you? It's a bag of snakes.

These aren't practice projectiles. The M315 is the Service round with WC penetrator. The M26A1B1 steel cases were also in service at that time.

M315A1 is stamped right on it. That is an HVTP-T - target practice shot. They have copper alloy rotating bands so as not to wear out the barrels during practice.
See TM9-1901 dated 1950, page 160 section 126 if you need more information on it.
The 76mm HVAP service round is the M93. These had integral steel rotating bands - they didn't care about barrel life as a tank in combat wasn't expected to last very long anyway.

Last edited: