What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.D.?

kahu1

Premium Member
Hi ,
Can anyone i.d. this bomb casing.
I think its British 500lb or 1000lb, 1950s-70s (from the time of the Canberra bomber).
I can't find any refernce that shows the 'waisted' body, unfortunately no measurements but it was hollow.
BOMB1.jpgBOMB2.jpgBOMB3.jpg

cheers
Bob

Hi Kahu1

You're right! It's a British 1000lb HE Mark 6, 6*, 9, 11, 11* or 12 from the 1950s (i.e. the Canberra era). It's not possible to determine which Mark the bomb is just from looking at it. In summary, the Mk 6 had a forged body and was supplied with an Exploder and Detonator pocket in the tail position only; the Mk 6* was the same as the Mk 6 except it had a metallic sprayed coating on the body; the Mk 9 was the same as the Mk 6 except it had a cast steel body. The Mks 11, 11* and 12 were respectively the same as the Mks 6, 6* and 9, except that they were supplied with exploders and Detonator pockets in the nose and tail positions.

I hope this helps

eodda (aka Dave)