What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found the M14 nonmetallic AP mine patent

D

Dragontooth

http://www.google.de/patents?id=wWBhAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

In my opinion, this is it. If I am incorrect, please excuse me for stating incorrect information. I have reviewed the technical similarities and am quite sure.
Surely a very effective method of area denial. It strikes me as odd that NATO no longer uses nonmetallic mines, I mean UXO BLUs are just a serious of a problem, right and are often mistaken for fruit, toys, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks right to me. At least the time frame is correct for the M14. The horizontal portion of the fuze mechanism at the base looks different but it was only a patent concept drawing.

I previously posted this photo which came from Life magazine in 1952.

life image M4  mine from 1952 .jpg

Huh, that is interesting, why did LIFE do an article about the M14??? Do you have the original article/s?Did you by chance take a look at the technical details of the patent?

Do you have any more pics, possibly with manufacturer's markings? Those are my faves!
Best,
Dave

Looks right to me. At least the time frame is correct for the M14. The horizontal portion of the fuze mechanism at the base looks different but it was only a patent concept drawing.

I previously posted this photo which came from Life magazine in 1952.

View attachment 57058

Sorry, but apart from the general size and shape, it bears no internal resemblance to the M-14. That mine uses a large plastic belleville spring which snaps a firing pin into the primer. The primer/detonator is installed from the bottom of the mine. I haven't had much luck posting photos, but I'm sure there is at least one of the M-14 cross section views posted on the forum.

Sorry, but apart from the general size and shape, it bears no internal resemblance to the M-14. That mine uses a large plastic belleville spring which snaps a firing pin into the primer. The primer/detonator is installed from the bottom of the mine. I haven't had much luck posting photos, but I'm sure there is at least one of the M-14 cross section views posted on the forum.

yes you are absolutely right. my bad.
what was i thinking?
let me know anybody if you do find it.

in the mean time, this one looks more like it:
-has a belleville spring
-has a Safe and Arm function
-is made of plastic

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2438307.pdf

the detonator assembly reminds me of the M14 too.
let's discuss shall we?

Now, except for the external shape, internally that one looks very similar to the M-14. Spring is a little different, but that is to be expected during development of ordnance. Time period looks about right, too.

Now, except for the external shape, internally that one looks very similar to the M-14. Spring is a little different, but that is to be expected during development of ordnance. Time period looks about right, too.

Hmm can someone verify this? Thanks.