What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID British WW1 cylinder

Photo of one.

This MkII bomb was made by Turley and Williams Ltd, Birmingham.

The drawing below shows the MkI in section. The relevant List of Changes paragraph states, "The Mark II bomb is similar to the Mark I, but differs slightly in the internal arrangements, the internal container being fitted with a diaphragm and copper detonator holder and in the lifting handle, which consists of a loop of steel wire, being retained on the lid by a soldered tin disc." (The Mark I had an eyebolt and split ring for lifting purposes.)

Although the drawing indicates the Mark I bomb is filled with TNT, the LoC paragraph states the Mark I bomb is filled 80/20 Amatol, with a green band painted round the body and the fraction "80/20" stencilled; and the Mark II is filled Ammonal (pink band round body), or Bellite (pink band and the letters "Bel").

Attachments

• MkI bomb.jpg
    MkI bomb.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 32
At the risk of prolonging this deviation from grenades into mortars here is a pic of ammo as supplied ! A Happy New Year to all.
Mike

For completeness, do you have the photo from the series of the 3.7-inch Trench Howitzer, Mark III (the model shown in the display photo above), with its box of accessories?

No doubt the thread can be transferred to the Mortars thread if Admin see fit...

@Mike_H - Any further information/images would be most welcome. As Snufkin states - the thread can be transferred if seen fit.

TimG