What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID for a US Naval 37mm. Shell?

MikeS0000

(Also in the ID Forum)
Found in a local shop, it's not familiar to me..., which, of course, is why I liked it. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Length of case is ~125mms. and the shell is about the same. Fuzed top and a set(?) screw in the base. Pretty well marked, but I can't seem to find a reference for it. Band is stamped 'A.A. E.P.F.' and followed by a 'Circled F.'

Thanks for any info!

- Mike

Oh, also, just for reference, one way of t'other..., any thoughts on value. I put out $60USD for it. Don't know if that's good, bad or just ok, but it's home now!

Attachments

• P1010067.jpg
    P1010067.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
  • P1010066.jpg
    P1010066.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010065.jpg
    P1010065.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P1010064.JPG
    P1010064.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010063.JPG
    P1010063.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
It's a USN 1 Pdr for sure. The projectile is an AA. But, the case length doesn't jibe with anything I'm familiar with. I wonder if it has been shortened or if the projectile is from another case? Note that there are no crimp marks on the case that would coincide with the crimp grooves on the projectile.

WPS is Worcester Pressed Steel Co (Massachusettes). JBS is the inspector.

Sorry I can't help more.

Ray

Last edited:
The projectile is a lquid tracer. The little hole in the base allows the flash to ignite the material in the projectile, which leaves a trail of smoke. Raymeketa is right, the maker of the case is Worchester Pressed Steel. The case should be 135mm, not 125, so must be cut doen. For $60, the projectile is in excellent condition and you have a bargain, even if the case is shortened.

Thanks Ray, Highlandotter -

Just noticed the case has a primer tube that extends about halfway up the length of the case... ?

Best regards!
- Mike

Hello Mike,

You have a beautiful U.S.N. 1Pdr/37mm Training / Sub caliber AA round that emitted an observable trail of smoke from the opening in the projectile base. Sixty bucks is a great price for the shell, congratulations...

Best regards,

Randall

You should have no problem finding a proper length case for this, they are not rare, because of reloading any case 1916 or older will do. I believe the contents was a liquid dye mixture and nothing actually burnt, the British used the same kind of thing, only good in the daytime and I think fell out of favour after the war.

I appear to have one of these U.S.Navy shells dated 3-17 also has P.E.& M CO there is also an N with a circle around it, any info on the maker and use. Thanks Henry-John.

Poole Engineering & Machine Co

The projectile is a tracer intended for anti Aircraft use, non explosive, it just leaves a visible trail behind it. N is likely an inspector.