What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID for rifle cartridges

Spaceinvader

Hello!
Along with that bofors case I got 3 other rounds, 2 of which im not sure what they are. the first I have seen before, but I cant remember what its from, and cant find anything online. It has a brass case, brass projectile and a polymer tip. I couldn't get a good picture of the headstamp, but it reads "DAG-68-4" (I think DAG is for a German munitions factory?). It then has a circle with a plus is it.

The second is a 7.62, lacquered steel? case, and a silver colored, lead filled projectile. the headstamp reads "2-57 7.62" and an "l" over top and "M", and on the opposite side, a "F" overtop a "Y". Looking for info on either, rifle rounds are not my particular expertise, but they where interesting and cheap so why not! :) DSCN2061[1].jpgDSCN2062[1].jpgDSCN2065[1].jpgDSCN2066[1].jpg

Cartridge #1 = DAG = Dynamit Nobel A-G, Troisdorf, Germany, NATO (+ in a circle) 7.62x51mm short range practice loading, 1968.

Cartridge #2 = French manufacture .30-06 (7.62x63mm) ball load, lacquered steel case, 1957.

Last edited:
The DAG short range cartridge with plastic tip brass base projectile was designed so that the maximum range of the fired projectile was just over 1000 meters. The idea is a fired projectile losses velocity as it travels down range (assuming it does not hit a hard target), when the velocity drops enough the projectile, with a substantial forward portion of the bullet being light weight plastic, becomes unstable and begins to tumble. At that point velocity drops of very quickly and the projectile soon tumbles to the ground. This allows live fire training in areas with limited range space.

Similar loadings have been developed and some adopted in recent years by a number of countries.

In WW2 Germany had the I.S.Patrone, which had an aluminum core projectile, so the projectile was much lighter in weight than a normal ball bullet and did not travel as far as a normal bullet.

I understand that the DAG short range projectile actually has a tiny hole drilled through its length and when fired the initial impulse of gas blows the plastic tip clear of the brass projectile and out of the muzzle. The remaining flat-tipped projectile then quickly loses velocity because its so ballistically inefficient.

Jim