What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID LIMPET

Any info on this British Limpet ?

View attachment 193000
Hi MINENAZ16

This is an example of a British Underwater Swimmer Charge Mk I. It used an inflatable rubber ring, powered by a Co2 capsule to give the charge positive buoyancy to hold it against the ship's keel and was initiated by a Mk II AC Delay. The charge container also incorporated a countermining pistol for sympathetic detonation. Developed by the Admiralty. I will try and find some references for it when I have more time.

Cheers

Switch

To complete the information from the very valuable "Technical History of Miscellaneous Underwater Weapons, 1939-1945", the UWS MKI (also referred to as "UWS Type A") was the copy of the Italian designed "cimice" (also referred to as "mignatta" or "cassetta speciale") and it was devised to supply the personnel of Mariassalto that, after the Italian armistice, moved to Taranto with very little equipement and none industrial backup to rebuilt it. The guys from Mariassalto already gave willingness to fight in the far east along with OSS and British personnel, hence they needed the battle proven instruments that they used during the war. Other ordnances were reproduced for the same purpose.

It is interesting to notice that the British recovered a sample of the "cimice" back in 1942 but never showed interest to develop their version until 1944.

The pictured specimen of the UWS MKI is on display at the Explosion Museum of Naval Firepower, Gosport.

Switch, Thank you for the info about the U.S.C.
Is this info from a book or a British Pamphlet ?

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris

The information is from the British Admiralty publication "Technical History of Miscellaneous Underwater Weapons, 1939-1945" as mentioned by Lefa, found in The UK National Archives "Discovery" Reference ADM 292/199
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Switch