What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

id needed please

bazooka chris

Hi guys

i was wondering if anybody knows what this kynoch box was used for please ? are they fairly common ? cheers.

from bazooka chris

kynoch box 1.jpgkynoch box 2.jpg

Dont know much about containers but I would expect that to be a "Powder keg" for the safe storage and transit of propellants between facilities during the manufacturing process.
Very interesting find-is it made of Bronze ??

It looks like it sat in a wooden box, does the top appear to attach to something that goes around the metal container below the lid. It would look smashing with a dove tailed box around it-

there could well have been lifting handles on what ever box this fitted into, it might have just slid into the box if you can't find any attachment points.

Common , I think not---- never seen the like over here, though it's more likely commercial than military.

How Big is it ?

Last edited:
hi thanks for the replys its not actually mine at the moment somebody local to me is selling it and i was possibly interested in getting it but wasnt 100% sure what it was used for exactly but was interested because it was kynoch.

the info i have been given with the pictures is the top plate measures 17 X 12 inches, box stands 22 inches high end plate held on with brass bolts with a leather washer, name plate and No. 70 in brass
weighs 19kg. is that any help

from bazooka chris

It looks like an old version of what I knew as a `coffin' for detonators. As it is marked for Kynoch it may be that it was used for transporting primary detonating composition or components containing only primary detonating composition, for example as used in percussion caps (lead styphnate, mercury fulminate etc) for small arms ammo. The `coffins' I used were much newer, were painted red and were used for transportation of detonators in their service containers, for example H82s containing L1 or L2 detonators. `Coffins' come in several different sizes. Their main feature is that they are a steel box with separate lid that has to be bolted on. They are fairly rare. At the time I was a soldier (1978 - 1993) their sole use was as a transit container for primary detonating explosive - that is, high explosive having a figure of insensitivity (F of I) of 10 or less, as would be found in detonators and percussion caps (sometimes termed `primers') for small arms ammunition. I prefer the term `percussion cap' because the word `primer' can be ambiguous, used for demolition primers and primers as used in cartridge cases for artillery ammunition. Intermediary high explosives (commonly known as booster charges) such as CE (Tetryl) have an F of I of about 30. Picric Acid (early HE as used in shell) on which the scale was first based has an F of I of 100. I believe TNT has a rated F of I of 120 and RDX is about 140. HMX is probably higher and some slurry explosives as used in quarrying can be as high as 200.