What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID of 30mm Rarden Projectile

oldshotandshell

Can someone please identify this projectile type? Standard Rarden case headstamped "30mmAFV RG 5 75". Projectile is "thin walled" and hollow with a round nose. It is non-magnetic and appears to be made of bronze or brass with usual copper driving band. Measures 105mm long (without base insert). Steel base insert unscrews with a right hand thread and is shaped as shown. No markings on anything. Many years ago I had a similar shaped projectile but made of steel. Ideas would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Attachments

• P1000538.jpg
    P1000538.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 47
  • P1000539.jpg
    P1000539.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 48
  • P1000540.jpg
    P1000540.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 46
  • P1000537.jpg
    P1000537.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 45
Odd, right hand thread.

Well being a right hand threaded base does pose a question over whether or not it is Rarden or even Hispano-on the balance, I thnk it may be a made up projectile as you state it appears to be made of Bronze !

Most gun tubes are right hand rifled which means that on firing a projectile from these tubes any base fuse would tighten as it would be a left hand thread-this is the norm for safety reasons.

What is the profile inside the projectile like ?

Internal profile matches the external i.e. straight sides with a rounded top. I hope I have described the base screw thread correctly. As you hold the projectile in your left hand the steel base insert screws in to the projectile by turning it anti-clockwise and out of the projectile by turning clockwise. Driving band is copper and looks perfect, no join marks or blemishes etc. The projectile has the appearance of a thin-walled "Minen" type of base fuzed HE.

"Pukka" item most likely.

No, that certainly sounds like a left hand thread from your description and the fact that the profile internally is the same as externally makes it "Pukka" to my way of thinking.

Home mades are generally not that elaborate as it takes specially profiled tools to produce these intricate shapes.

Not sure I buy into the "RARDEN" experimental line of thought though ?

If it is British in manufacture then I would have thought more possibly of experiments with the "Hispano" gun as this seems to be more likely.
Also another telling fact is that you mention it has a "copper" driving band. which again would lead me toward it possibly being a "Hispano" round.

I cannot think what it may have been made for if it is in fact something to do with RARDEN ?

Last edited: