What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID of Large Artilley Case?

ordnance

Premium Member
ID of Large Artillery Case?

Need some help identifying a large brass shell case I found yesterday. I had to clean the base to read the minimal headstamp markings.....a 0 with a slash through it, 15, EGZ, and 1905. That's all. There is a U.S. made and marked brass hex screw in the primer flash hole but I am sure someone just put it there to plug the opening.

The outside is still covered with old shellac which has cracked and browned. The diameter at the rim is 202mm (8"), primer pocket diameter is 33mm (1 1/4"), and the rim is 6mm thick. The overall length is 1,056mm (41 3/8"). At the case mouth it is 180mm outside diameter (7 1/8") and 177mm inside.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Attachments

• PICT0786.jpg
    PICT0786.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT0787.jpg
    PICT0787.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Rick,

It is surprising that it is brass and laquered. I've never seen a laquered brass case before.

Last edited:
Could it be a 17 cm German WW1/WW2 naval/train gun? EGZ is familiar from German WW1 cases.

175x1050R203

Yes, its a German 17 cm case, but EGZ doesn't stand for EisenbahnGeschutZ, just had a few cases, coming form the Nothsea, and stamped EGZ. However all WW1 reloaded cases (stamped dots at 12-1 olock) that i have (about 7) do have the EGZ marking. Is it navy marked?

I can't find any other markings other than those listed below. Regarding the shellac, I don't think it was original to the case, but added by some civilian owner to keep it shiny at some point......just didn't work so well after 90 years of aging.

Considering the length of service and that they were reloaded, it would appear they are fairly common in Europe, yes? I've heard there were quite a few projectiles brought to America for testing after WWI, but I haven't seen any cases in my part of the country. At over 1000mm in length, the cases wouldn't have made a very popular duffle bag souvenir.

Thank you for the information.

Rick

I'll meet you at St.Louie next year and stick my projectile into your case. HA!:bigsmile: Yeah yeah I know,separate loading ammunition........

Attachments

• WWI big 015.jpg
    WWI big 015.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 35
  • WWI big 004.jpg
    WWI big 004.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 32
  • WWI big 008.jpg
    WWI big 008.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 27
  • WWI big 010.jpg
    WWI big 010.jpg