What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

id on 30mm shells rg84

dave1985

hi i have just got 2 x 30mm shells but i dont know what they are from any informatiom would be appreciated
the writing on the casing is 822 cy 84 prac 4z and then directly below that it reads j 30mm rg 84
many thanks
dave

30mm

You have a couple of 30mm Aden Practice Mark 4z rounds.

The markings mean:

822 - Lot number
CY - Filling Factory, ROF Chorley
84 - Date of loading, 1984
PRAC 4z - Practice Mark 4 loaded with nitrocellulose propellant
J - Case type
30mm - calibre
RG - case maker, ROF Radway Green, Cheshire
84 - date of loading, 1984

Regards
TonyE

thanks tony thats helped a lot i dont suppose you know what they were fired from i have been told they were maybe from a early harrier jet??
regards
dave

30 mm ADEN Guns

Many aircraft were fitted with the 30 mm ADEN gun as they were/are a potent weapon even today.
One comes to mind, the Lightning had I believe two mounted either side of the fuselage, I am sure the experts here will enlarge on that.

30mm!

The BAC Lightning as used by the RAF in the 1960's did indeed have a pair of 30-mm Aden cannon fitted as standard. In early models they were fitted one on either side of the upper nose but soon modifications were made and the guns were carried in a blister beneath the aircrafts centreline. Regards, Tim.

30mm Aden were also used on Hunters (integral)and Hawks (pods)as well as harriers (pods) Jaguars (integral) and Lightnings.

Hangarman