What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID on these please

Burney Davis

Premium Member
This is a long shot, but does anyone recognise what these go to? The cuts are obviously to weaken the aluminium material so I am thinking something to do with flash or gaine use.

I hate throwing something away that could complete an item in someones collection. TIA

20221216_173501.jpg

If the diameter is .980" /24.89 mm, they should be closing discs for percussion primers No.1 Mk.II. I only know them in brass. Sometimes they are still present on fired primers but folded open.

Last edited:
If the diameter is .980" /24.89 mm, they should be closing discs for percussion primers No.1 Mk.II. I only know them in brass. Sometimes they are still present on fired primers but folded open.

Thanks Alpini. But I think these are much later than those primers as they have an anodized finish.

And what about the diameter? :) Does it fit or not?

Are you sure that they are anodized? An anodization would never break off as seen on your examples. It can only be ground off but then you would see scratches. Looks more like a red laquer - probably red colored shellac (not natural red shellac).

Thanks for all replies so far. Note to self, in future I must take more time and examine things more carefully before asking for ID on such things!

Alpini, you are of course right in that the red colour is a type of shellac and they are made of brass not aluminium.

I have attached more pictures that may help the ID. The one is of the item sitting on top of a no 1 Mk II primer. Whilst it is the same size I don't believe it's for that. You will see that the weakening slits are completely through the metal. They can't be for sealing anything.

red1.jpgred2.jpgred3.jpg